I've got a noob question on recording with impulse responses.

soilent

So, I just got some Redwirez impulse responses for my Axe Fx and their website says that they used high end gear like Neve pres to record the impulses. Now, since that is the case, does that mean I don't really have to record through a nice signal chain like that, since it's already been done by them? Like, if I went direct with my Axe Fx and then used an IR in my DAW, would that kind of be the same as actually running everything through a Neve pre and Apogee converter, etc.? Or am I just really off base here?

Hi,
No. The equipment that you use will dictate the quality of your recording.
The equipment they used only impacts on the quality of the impulse response. No matter how accurate that is, the input signal and path still need to be quality.

You don't want to water down the champaign with ice cubes but, how do you plan to record your tracks?

Well, right now the plan is to record DI tracks through an Apogee Duet into Logic. After that, I was going to go to friend's studio and reamp using Axe fx>API 3124+>Apogee Symphony>Logic.

Hi,
No. The equipment that you use will dictate the quality of your recording.
The equipment they used only impacts on the quality of the impulse response. No matter how accurate that is, the input signal and path still need to be quality.

That's kind of what I figured. Thanks.

Back