Isolation Room

Im thinkin of turning this large walk-in closet into an isolation room for my drumset for recoring some songs using cool edit. I would record a drum track then dub over all the other instruments myself.

The dimensions of this room are
7.6 ft X 5.2 Ft X 6.4 Ft(height)

Im thinkin this is a little to small, but I dont know what optimum acoustics would be in this case. I am not looking for the best sound quality, but I am concerned that the sound will bounce around too much, even if I use some quality deadening material. What do you guys think?

Also, whats the best way to record a bass track. I know that you would use a different way for each different sound, but overall would I be better mic'ing it, and if so, what kind of mic should be used. If i should run in thru a board and compressor, would I need an extra amp or what? Thanks guys

yeah, that does sound a little tight, you can rec just your basic kit then add the cym in later, whereas i believe you'll have issues getting the cym to fit in with the rest of the kit, from what i've seen they rec drums in a larger room, of course it's sonicly correct, it looks like the techs have taken a vacation this week from HR, in the other sections anyway, i've seen many post related to your question here though, a search 'top right" page, may yeald some results...

i've also read alot about bass traps from 3 to 4 feet long? humm, i'm no drummer but you'll be hard pressed to fit that in i believe...

you'll never know till you try it, sounds like a nice vocal or guitar room though, best luck...

I am just curious to the reasons behind such a room, especially for a drumset. Usually people recommend a big live room for that. But, yeah, Fusion 2, why are they commonly used for vocals and guitars? Wouldn't they sound better in a nice big room too?Thanks.

Back