Isolation on a pair of Fig-8's, AC guitars and vocal

mixsit

I set up to do some guide tracks the other night- nothing fancy but I figured I'd post an example of this setup with comparisons.
Initially it's two AC guitars- the one on the left is the second separate one, on the right and center are the pair on the figure-8 mics. 4047' on voc and our old friend Cad M-179 guitar. Both flat, about 4-6" on the vocal mic, a tad farther on the other.
Front' 'side and from the rear pics.. If you were standing square' on the voc mic the Cad is over at the neck shooting across the guitar.
Note too that he wears his guitar fairly high and strums fairly hard as well.
There's like 12 - 13" between the mics.

The track is; Full mix, 2nd guitar off, solo voc, solo guitar.

Attachments

• Front-View-web.jpg
    Front-View-web.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 153
  • Side-web.jpg
    Side-web.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Back-View-web.jpg
    Back-View-web.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Fig-8 mix.mp3
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
Can't download/listen on my phone, but fig 8s are my favourite way of recording people who insist on playing singing at the same time. Especially if I don't trust that they can balance their vocals with the guitar themselves. Positioning can be...fiddly, but the separation is awesome.

Two for two.
Tonight, similar success- 'Vinjet ribbon (plus go bo's) on upright bass, guitar and mando in the same room barely present in the track. :listeningmusic:

What was that about 'fig-8's only if you have great rooms'?

It's not big - think 'dining room, and not high ceilings (bummer :o
But I do have 'clouds over a section, some rather large go bo's, and a nice size open door way to the front 'other and slightly larger room where I mix' and stuff.. So I think that helps break up what otherwise might have been some of the bass issues?
The thing I'm finding is the power of good placement -using the nulls', and reasonably sized go bo that sort of 'kill the back lobe.

Back