IPad compatible external mics

mikerofone

I am seeking an external mic option for my iPad to bring to record my band practices.

I have two options: use one of my large diaphragm condensers such as the AKG C214 or AT2020 with an adapter chord that plugs into the iPad's 1/8 inch headphone port.

Or, there are the digital mic options such as the Blue Spark Digital or Apogee digital mic that connect via the iPad's 30 pin port.

My very limited technical knowledge leads me to believe, perhaps incorrectly, that a mic connect via the 30 pin port would deliver more information than one plugged in to the headphone port, but I really don't know.

Any experiences or opinions about these options?

I am seeking an external mic option for my iPad to bring to record my band practices.

I have two options: use one of my large diaphragm condensers such as the AKG C214 or AT2020 with an adapter chord that plugs into the iPad's 1/8 inch headphone port.

Or, there are the digital mic options such as the Blue Spark Digital or Apogee digital mic that connect via the iPad's 30 pin port.

My very limited technical knowledge leads me to believe, perhaps incorrectly, that a mic connect via the 30 pin port would deliver more information than one plugged in to the headphone port, but I really don't know.

Any experiences or opinions about these options?

Many of my ipad buds use this:

Alesis iO DOCK Pro Audio Dock for iPad at zZounds

Using the 1/8th inch headphone port will route your signal through the onboard electronics for the microphone, really intended to be used with cheapo mics for skype and the like.

Using a device like the IO Dock let's you use all your mics, gives you better pre-amps, better converters, XLR inputs, etc...... Way more flexible than any of the digital mics and allows you to use the equipment you already own in the 'right' way....

Given you have the camera kit that provides a USB port into the iPad any USB based soundcard works but you need a powered USB hub because the iPad doesn't put out enough juice to power external sound cards by itself.

I came across THIS when searching for something else on the Focusrite site the other day. It looks an ideal way to allow you to use any mic you want, includes monitoring, etc. etc.

I came across THIS when searching for something else on the Focusrite site the other day. It looks an ideal way to allow you to use any mic you want, includes monitoring, etc. etc.

$160 for one Focusrite vocal channel and a guitar input seems a little steep but it's purty and I can appreciate the attraction of simplicity.

I have to agree with everything chuckduffy has mentioned here. I also want to add that you might also consider Focusrite's iTrack Solo as an alternative. I've heard both interfaces, and with both the condensers and dynamics that I heard, the Focusrite was much cleaner. The IO Dock is more robust in terms of it's inputs and outputs, but they both cover the basics really well. Personally, I went with the iTrack because of the build quality and the superior pre-amps. I recently reviewed the iTrack for the Center for Digital Storytelling here ("An Audio Interface for the iPad: The Focusrite iTrack Solo" at the Story Center Blog).

Basic lesson is: same as with any other computer, you get an external interface and ignore the built-in soundcard if you want to do it right....

Well aware of the age of the post, Bobbsy. I just finished the review, and I thought it might be a good idea to plant it in places where the iTrack has come up in conversation. I realize that these threads are most valuable while the original poster's question is still hot, but I also think that people run across these threads all the time as they are researching their own questions, often months (or more) after the thread has gone almost cold. But I appreciate your concern. Best of luck.

Back