Interesting drum recording situation

AJ679

Hey guys,
I think this is my first post here (if not it's my first post in a long time and I don't remember my first post lol).

I have a unique drum recording situation, and would like your input/advice on it. I have two separate recording situations, and I don't have a good idea about how to place the mics.

My first situation is recording a friend's demo in a basement. I have one amazing MXL910 large diaphragm condenser, which I love on drums a lot. This is the only mic that I actually own. (As you can tell I have an extremely low budget) I also have access to a good friend's Shure SM57. My third and fourth mics are both Samson R21 dynamics, which, from what I have gathered from youtube videos, are not good microphones. However, I don't know if that has to do with their use and technique with the mic, or the mic itself. My first instinct is to put the 57 on the snare, the 910 right over the drummer's head (or possibly shoulder) for the cymbals, shove an R21 in the kick, and maybe on the bottom of the snare. I have no idea what they sound like or how they will work out. Worst comes to worst, I figure I can put the 57 in the kick, condenser over the shoulder facing the snare, and the R21s somewhere they don't sound horrible. I have plenty of time to play around here, so I'm looking for suggestions of what to try first. (Just as an aside, the genre of the demos is "post hardcore", so very heavy on kick and snare...I need a lot of beater to make it appear in the mix.)

My second situation is very interesting. I have three mics to record live drums...get this...in a gym. We want to record our band that plays at school masses for practice and teaching. I'm going to overdub guitars and bass later, but I want to capture keyboard, vocals, and drums live. Keyboard and vocals are easy, I'll plug the midi into my interface, and an output from a submixer (with lead and choral vocals) into one mic input. That leaves me with 3 inputs for drums. I have the 910, 57, and some sort of small diaphragm samson condenser that the school owns. This genere is more rock, so I'm thinking of putting the condenser over the kick facing the snare, the 57 in the kick, and the samson condenser on the ride or crash or as an overhead. My only problem is that I'm worried about phase issues, because I've never worked with this many mics before...I just purchased a 4 input interface...earlier I was working with a Scarlett solo.

Anyways, thanks for any help. If this is in the wrong place or I did something wrong, please let me know!
Thanks again

Just reading the Glyn Johns interview in TapeOp magazine. Do the drums sound good and balanced when you're standing a few feet in front of them? Put the MXL in that position. The SM57 on the snare in case you need more snare in the mix.

I use that method a lot, espically for jazz and lighter songs...but the problem here is that the guitars are really low and heavy, so if I'm not getting any of the beater of the kick it gets completely lost in the mix. The other problem is that there is a lot of ride and China, which can very easily get lost behind the crashes in the mix. Perhaps I could put the R21s up as overheads to give the cymbals more high end, the SM in the kick, and the condenser on snare and hat?

Stick the SM57 in the kick and place the MXL overhead, maybe one of the samson's on the snare, thats the best you are going to get with what you have.

Alan.

So I recorded the demos last saturday, along with some drum covers, and got a pretty nice suprise! The R21 didn't sound half bad inside the kick. I ended up with the 57 on the snare, condenser on overhead, 21 in the kick, and a 21 underneath the china and ride. It sounded pretty good to me. What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URuoL2nnQ2Q

Did come out pretty good. Only thing seemed to be missing was good kick punch. Some EQ and compression work and get more punch.

I do agree that it was missing some punch...I've been playing around with the eq and compression to see if I can improve it at all.

"You could always re-record the kick in another track. Mix it back in."
I might do that for some of the videos I'm working on right now...never really thought of that thanks.

"sounds pretty good, drummer has some chops."
Haha thanks I'll pass that on...feel free to check out his band's new single in the video description. Not my musical taste but can't ignore their talent.

Without hearing the kick drum, often the frequencies to cut would be 200 - 250hz, this cleans up the doof and make the kick clearer, if you need a little attack try boosting 4Khz or there abouts, 2Khz sometimes adds a little skin. Also don't be afraid to cut some lows, this sometimes works when you add bass guitar. Try a bit of compression, maybe a steep ratio fast attack, quick release, but only just working on the louder hits.

Alan.

P.S I meant not hearing it on anything decent, at work on crappy computer speakers LOL.

Back