Imported wav files deleting

izzyand87

Hey all:

I've got a problem and hoping I can get some help.

I record my tracks onto a Tascam 8 track digital recorder. I then export the wav files onto my computer, import them into Cubase and then edit them in Cubase.

After I edit them and save the project I would delete the wave files from my desktop and the files would remain in Cubase edited and still showing up.

My computer crashed a month ago and I had it restored and I had to reinstall Cubase. Well now when I import and edit my wav files in Cubase, then delete the imported files off the desktop, I save the project and close Cubase. When I reopen Cubase the files are missing and need to be located.

Does anyone know why this started happening all of a sudden. I used to be able to delete the wav files after importing and editing them into Cubase. Now I can't, it cant locate them.

Any ideas on how I could fix the problem?

Thanks much

I don't know exactly how Cubase's file management system works but if you were doing all this manually, you'd be putting the wav files into a working directory for the project you're working on and then leaving them there.

If you're editing a wav file in Cubase or any other DAW, you're not actually editing the wav file, you're working in a project and writing instructions as to Cubase as to how Cubase plays the wav file, which remains untouched (that's how it seems to work in Reaper anyway..)

What's probably happened is that you had a setting selected in Cubase which transferred, without you knowing it, a copy of the wav file into the project directory, so it would copy the one on your desktop and put it into the directory, thus when you deleted the one on your desktop, the one in the directory is still there - the one that you're actually working on.... since you reinstalled Cubase, possibly you haven't told your software to do this any more...

Again, that's how it works in Reaper. If you can't find that option, do it manually. If you don't know where the project working directory is, work it out.

Good luck.

Back