im going to make a hip hop album

Kasey

I just decided this a few days ago. It's going to be all instrumental. i have this idea of a whole album that is the perfect car music. Groove tempo beats, inner city styleness, some more jazz-like parts. basically everything that i should not be allowed to do as a white guy living in the suburbs, but i think i can pull it off. theres more white rappers and such these days right? i should get by.
Anyways, i've never done any hip hop or anything like it before. mostly just folk music and 'experimental' choirs, noise, layers of ambient sound, massive drums, etc.
It's going to be entirely instrumental - real instruments, no midi. unless maybe i do some sampling. Are there any recording techniques that should change that maybe i wouldnt know about? For example, drums. Is there a specific way to get more hip hop sounding drums through recording techniques or mixing or eq or compression or whatever? i'm a total newbie here with this, help me out, i beg.

Why the importance on sounding like other hip hop instruments? You have an intriguing idea there. Choose the sounds that sound right for the production. Hip hop is a style, not a sound.

G.

i am the drummer, and the bass player. the player is important, i know, but that wasnt really what my question was about.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Why the importance on sounding like other hip hop instruments? You have an intriguing idea there. Choose the sounds that sound right for the production. Hip hop is a style, not a sound.

G.

thank you, yes you're right, i just didnt want to make a hip hop album that.. i dont know, sounded like a folk guy making an attempt at hip hop. i know what you mean though, thanks. good advice.

Back