If you could work with a big-time producer, who would it be and why?

mutt Lang...he could take crap and turn it into something with a WOW factor

I'll bet there are a few things I could learn during an hour recording session with Mutt. He was one of the producers I listed in my post on this same topic. (some things get hashed, some things get rehashed)

Allow me to express my opinion. I find very little of what greg has to say to be any real value. If I was a dude just starting out then possibly. He's so god damn rude to everyone all the time, so condescending and lacking in humility that I just get tired of seeing his stupid posts everywhere. It seems ridiculous that he would post that much all the time in posts about every possible subject matter. but hey, whatever, I only come to this site once a month maybe. I guess I'll get over it.

I'll post up some of my stuff next time I come by the site. You guys can rip me a new one as much as you'd like. I'm pretty confident that you wont.
Why don't you post something up now? You act as if you physically have to drive by this site. You're on your computer so post something up now for chrisakes! As for Greg: if you don't like his posts then do what I do when I see some religious zealot fuckwad on TV; change the god damn channel! Nobody is holding a gun to your head making you read his fucking posts! Come on dude, the world doesn't revolve around you, and you don't have the right to impose your view of morality, humour, or world-view, on others. Life is simple, don't make it harder than it is. If his posts piss you off that bad, then for god's sake quit reading them!:cursing:

A producer with a strong musical skills could really help make my songs better than they are - say by playing piano with two hands instead of one (lol).

Why don't you post something up now? You act as if you physically have to drive by this site. You're on your computer so post something up . w for chrisakes! As for Greg: if you don't like his posts then do what I do when I see some religious zealot fuckwad on TV; change the god damn channel! Nobody is holding a gun to your head making you read his fucking posts! Come on dude, the world doesn't revolve around you, and you don't have the right to impose your view of morality, humour, or world-view, on others. Life is simple, don't make it harder than it is. If his posts piss you off that bad, then for god's sake quit reading them!:cursing:

Actually posting from my phone. I don't like greg's posts. I think the conversation is better without his self obsession. Courtesy is universal. Life is actually quite complex, literally and figuratively. Thank you for your support.

Actually posting from my phone. I don't like greg's posts. I think the conversation is better without his self obsession. Courtesy is universal. Life is actually quite complex, literally and figuratively. Thank you for your support.
Here is some more support for you; you might contemplate reading, How To Win Friends and Influence People(Or How Not To Be An Asshole). We get the fact that you don't like his posts. Quit reading the god damn things if they're going to cause you to cry like a little bitch. Grow the fuck up and act as if you have a brain in your head! And thanks for your support!:facepalm:

Here is some more support for you; you might contemplate reading, How To Win Friends and Influence People(Or How Not To Be An Asshole). We get the fact that you don't like his posts. Quit reading the god damn things if they're going to cause you to cry like a little bitch. Grow the fuck up and act as if you have a brain in your head! And thanks for your support!:facepalm:

What the fuck did I do to you?

I find very little of what greg has to say to be any real value..... I just get tired of seeing his stupid posts everywhere...

I'm not piling on, but you have the option to put people on ignore. You can find it in your User Control panel under Settings in the top right corner of the page.

Why don't you post something up now? You act as if you physically have to drive by this site. You're on your computer so post something up now for chrisakes! As for Greg: if you don't like his posts then do what I do when I see some religious zealot fuckwad on TV; change the god damn channel! Nobody is holding a gun to your head making you read his fucking posts! Come on dude, the world doesn't revolve around you, and you don't have the right to impose your view of morality, humour, or world-view, on others. Life is simple, don't make it harder than it is. If his posts piss you off that bad, then for god's sake quit reading them!:cursing:

Ok ya'll. Let's not get this too outta whack. If it goes any further, I'll remove all the superfluous posts, close the thread, yadda yadda yadda...

What the fuck did I do to you?
You didn't do anything to me. I don't even know you. I just know you haven't acted rationally. If something pisses you off, ignore it. That's what grown-up, mature, and rational people do. Get to know the people here before you decide to basically attack one of them for no good reason. As the Muslims say, "Peace be upon you."

I think this thread needs a producer, the creative direction is all over the place.......maybe Rick Rubin.

I've always been kind of confused about what it is that producers do. I used to think they did one thing, then I found out that "no, that's what engineers do". Then I thought they did something else and found out that "no, that's what mixing engineers do".

So I don't really know what he actually does himself, but I'm gonna say Nick Raskulinecz for the drum sounds on his records alone.
I think his records with Alice in Chains, Deftones, and Rush sound awesome.
But mainly because his first work as a producer was on Foo Fighter's One by One and that "All My Life" song is one of the first rock songs I remember hearing. So subconsciously that's how heavy music is supposed to sound in my mind. It's weird to explain.

Or Rick Rubin for the lolz

I've always been kind of confused about what it is that producers do.

There are many things a Producer may do, such as: helping to decide what takes are kept and what is discarded. They're usually involved in the arrangement of the song(s) Mostly what I hear from good producers is harmony and vocal arrangement, many are very fast at doing counterpoint right off the top of their head. A lot of talented bands really need vocal coaching to get a good sound, especially when the studio clock is ticking by. Likewise they are very good at catching bad notes, for instance a bass note that may be off key. In general they should have superior hearing when it comes to recording.

They also do things you mentioned. Ted Templeman did 90% of the engineering, mixing, mastering for Van Halens 1st album. So put all that together and they can really keep busy during the process. and visualize the final product.

I've also heard of executive producers that do nothing but count the studio time, keep track of the budget, arrange transportation and deliver food during breaks !

Boy, this went in an unexpected (though I suppose not unforeseeable) direction. Sorry I missed the other thread - this wasn't the kind of thing I expected to have much success searching on.

Anyway, I probably should have shared my own ideas to set an example. Though I believe some do, I don't believe producers should radically alter the sound of a band. I see them as mentors and advisers that have talents that will highlight a band's strengths and mitigate its weaknesses. They are decidedly "outside" of the band, but are in some way qualified to speak to the artistic side during production.

I write kind of alternative/rock/pop stuff. Kind of "plain rock", like early Weezer. I learned that Rik Ocasek produced their blue album. I also understand he was the primary songwriter on the first Cars album, which is a pop rock masterpiece of sorts. Reading about him I found out we went to the same college, too. I think it'd be fun to sit down and discuss music with him, and what better way to really seriously do that than to be working on a real production?

I think it'd be fun to sit down and discuss music with him, and what better way to really seriously do that than to be working on a real production?
Don't get me wrong, though I wouldn't want a producer, I'd love to endlessly chat with just about every producer there ever was. There again, I'd love to chat with sports people, musicians, politicians, murderers, soldiers, prostitutes, thieves, teachers, prisoners, John Paul Jones......
And I mean, endlessly !

Back