I need some advice!

Kendall Bowman

I am having a really hard time figuring out what to do. I have a project coming up with piano and solo violin, I feel like I am way over thinking things, but I cannot decide what to do. The hall we are recording in sounds amazing a little too reverberant but still a very gooding sounding hall. The musicians and instruments are amazing and very professional so I want to match that level, but I just can't decide what to do.
The gear I have available to me is:
Antelope Zen Tour
Matched pair of DIY U87 ( which compared to the real things are extremely close)
Matched pair of SE Electronics 4400a's
SE Voodoo VR1
SE X1
2 Neve 511 pres
1 Golden Age 573

I am also thinking of either getting a pair of SDC's something like a pair of Oktava MK-012's or getting one really decent mic for the violin (which I am also having a hard time deciding).

My first thought was a pair of the SE 4400's XY on the piano. The U87s as an ORTF or Blumlein as the main array, and then the Voodoo Vr1 and a soon to be SDC to spot the violin.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as well as any mic suggestions within a limit of something around 600 or 700 dollars.

Back