How: 'Woozy' dream-like effect on the chords of this song...

J0rdan

Can anyone identify the techniques used to alter the presence of the main chords in the mix of this song? The producer has created this 'woozy' dream-like effect ( :drunk: ) by doing this and I was just wondering how! haha

youtube.com /watch?v=dhseE3ZA-GQ

Obvious picks would be automated filter/compression but I feel as if I am missing something! Does the chord progression or wave shape have a role in dragging this element in and out of focus??? Help please :p ta

Probably has a bit of vibrato on it.... gives it that slightly "drunk" sound... not hard to emulate, I wouldn't think - either on a real keyboard or via a plug in.

Thanks for the input guys, someone also mentioned the importance of the slow attack and near zero release time which I think also give it this feel. Cheers!

Think compression in an artistic way.

Yep, pretty aggressive SIDECHAIN compression. Sounds like the kick is keyed/sidechained to the compressor on the pads with a slow attack and with the release timed to the tempo of the song so it recovers before the next kick stroke. Pretty soft sounding knee setting too.

Back