How wld you record drums with these mics?

kartikbala

Hi all!!!

Well here is my qn. I have 3 mics, 2 ECM8000s and a shure sm57 which im gonna use to record a small drumkit.

most likely the ecms are gonna be the overheads. my dilemma is this: shld i use the sm57 for the snare or the kick? genre of music is rock. i know ideally i shld have a mic for the snare AND the kick, but can i manage with what i have???

TIA

kb

i would use the 57 on the kick. you can bring out the snare more on the overheads than you can the bass. i've use a similar set up (2 c1000s overheads and akg D112 on kick) and have gotten good results. do some test tracking with it on one, and then swich it to the other and see what you think sounds better.
-Ralf:cool:

I'd put the 57 in the kick and experiment with the overheads to get as much snare in them and still keep the toms/cymbal balance right.

definitely sm57 on the kick....you should be able to get a decent snare sound out of your overheads.......

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39030&highlight=technique

you must read this thread!

if you cant get a good sound this way, beg borrow or steal a mic, any mic, a $9.99 WalMart mic, to use on snare.....you will still try and get the most of the snare sound from the overheads and just use a minimal amount of this snare mic to put in what you are lacking.....

you could always sell blood to finance a mic......

Going against the grain here, but I would put the 57 on the snare and then overdub the bass. Of course, I like snare and don't know what the fuck I'm doing anyway...

thanks for amazingly fast replies!!!

amazing thread gidge!!!

anyway already sold blood to get a pair of behringer truths...not much blood left in me self right now.

kartikbala said:
Hi all!!!

Well here is my qn. I have 3 mics, 2 ECM8000s and a shure sm57 which im gonna use to record a small drumkit.

most likely the ecms are gonna be the overheads. my dilemma is this: shld i use the sm57 for the snare or the kick? genre of music is rock. i know ideally i shld have a mic for the snare AND the kick, but can i manage with what i have???

TIA

kb

Option one: Shure57 on the kick, and the two ECM8000's as overheads for stereo imaging, makes for a nice sounding kit.

Back