How to record guitar and vocals without vocals mic picking up guitar

Two figure 8 mics. the vocal mic set up so the null is pointed at the guitar and the guitar mic with the null poited at the vocal.

Another thing that you need to consider is how loud the guitar is compared to your voice. If yoy play hard and sing quietly, you will be screwed no matter what. No mic technique will fix that, you will simply need to sing louder or play softer.

I'm recording fast, finger picked, claw style folk songs. The vocals and the finger picked guitar go hand in hand, and it's difficult to remove one from the other, because the vocals flow with the guitar, and vis versa. The guitar is also slightly different in each take, as are the vocals, given the style in which it's played, so separating them doesn't make much sense. It would be like if you listened to Dylan's "Freewheelin" - There's no way they could/would have made that record recording Dylan's vocals and guitar separate. They flow together as one in this style.

I record with acoustic blues guitar, vocals and occasionally harmonica in a rack, in this situation "bleed" is inevitable but its all part of the artistic process, as Beatlesfan says Dylan did that early stuff "live" plus the early blues guys did it "live", its what gives the music it's vibe, so perhaps you could incorporate the acoustic guitar/vocal in the mix and see how that go's if not I think you will have track the parts separately. I don't always record live, sometimes a I lay a bass or rhythm guitar track down and work from that, Dave J.

Back