How to record a channel while muted (cubase/clarret8)?

andybhoy79

hi all, hoping someone can answer this, or give me a better way of working plz. I'm learning as I go here so not sure on all terminology or best practice yet!

OK, I have a Clarett 8prex and Cubase 9. For recording guitar, I have the guitar going through an Eleven Rack. From the 11r I have 2 outs, to record wet and dry signals.

While recording I obviously want to hear the Wet signal, which on the Clarett is Channel 5 - Volume Up on both Clarett and Cubase mixer. I could click the Cubase Monitor button too and hear this with a few plug-ins running (I don't usually though.). So - with the cubase monitor button UNticked, I'm essentially listening to the direct in, right? I can turn the Clarett channel down and what I hear and record will be lower.

Dry Signal - This is Channel 6 on the Clarett. While recording I don't really want to hear this at all, but I do want to record it. But, if i turn Channel 6 down on the Clarett, I don't hear it or record it. So Clarett 6 has to be up as that's the level going into Cubase.? If I mute this track (6) in Cubase I still hear the Direct sound which is controlled by the Clarett. SO, currently my only option to not hear the Dry signal is turn the Clarett channel down, but then I don't record it.

So - how do I mute the Dry Signal (channel 6), but record it?

Kind of related, I think - When recording vocals we like to hear the Cubase monitored track with a few plug-ins running (I've never really been able to do this before getting the Clarett and lower latency). As with the above scenario, I'm assuming, though it's less apparent - that we are listening to both the Direct In and Monitor signals? Should the direct signal also be muted and we just listen to the Monitored signal?

Is this common, is there a better way I should be setting things up? Or is it a simple tick box some where I'm missing (plz be this option....)

I don't think I'm searching for the right thing so can't find any previous articles on this so any help is appreciated!

Thanks very much,
A

There's probably a couple way to do this - not familiar with Cubase - but look at setting up one of the two headphone outputs in your Clarett using the Focusrite Control software so the dry track doesn't get sent there, or alternately, create an aux track which you only send the wet signal to, and make that the only thing being sent to one of your headphone outputs.

This is not a cubase issue, this would be something that needed to be done inside the clarett control panel somewhere based on what I'm looking at with your setup as you aren't monitoring through cubase as far as I understand it.

So my guess (and it is a guess) is that there should be a way to monitor only the wet signal through the clarett by muting the dry signal and still recording it. At least that's the way it works on my crappy audio interface software.

My guess is you will find your answer in the Focusrite control user guide. Might have to setup a custom headphone mix separate from the monitor mix or vise versa or something.

I'm not familiar with the clarret, but there should be a monitor mixer in it. Turn down that channel in that mixer (not the input level).

In cubase, don't use the input monitoring on the dry channel.

If your latency is actually decent, just monitor through Cubase and be done with it. If you can't get latency good enough, you need a new computer.

Back