HOW THE HECK Do you RECORD with a microphone or record digital piano sounds?? HELP?

JupiterStarr

Hi- Noob here... :facepalm:

I REALLY want to start recording music, including potential vocals... but really am lost in a sea of confusion up in here as I have NEVER done this before... at least properly that is.

Here's what I am working with so far-

I have a Roland F-140R digital piano. I'd like to start recording music from that... and have gotten a "EMU XMIDI 1X1 USB MIDI Interface" cable to *ATTEMPT* to hook the piano up to my computer at least. I don't even know if this is the right cable but my attempted research pointed me in this direction...

I don't have any recording software or anything to really get started even once I do manage to hook it up.

I also just got this microphone: Audio-Technica 20 Series AT2050 Multi Pattern Condenser Microphone

Only problem is?

There's a cord at the end of the microphone... what the heck do I plug that into?

The roland keyboard that I have doesn't appear to have an input for it... so I am assuming I am going to need some sort of power source or other thing to plug this line into...

And then I want to send that to my laptop.....somehow?

But I also want to be able to record sounds from my piano potentially at the same time, while also recording from that mic??

Can someone please help me in figuring out what setup needs to be at the END of my mic now to start using it, and what has to happen to feed that sound into some kind of recording situation....

Ditto for recording sounds from my piano?

What sort of software should I be using? Recommendations and suggestions...

I am using a laptop, so any incoming sounds are going to have to come in through USB or some other method here....?

THank you in advance!

There are some things you will need.

If you want to do reasonable recordings, you should think about getting an audio interface. This is designed specifically for recording, and replaces the on-board sound of your laptop.

Something like this interface has the required features and is a good starting point:
Komplete : Audio Interfaces : Komplete Audio 6 | Products

Your AT2050 plugs into the interface into one of the mike channels using an XLR to XLR cable. The AT2050 is a condensor mike, so you need to turn on the phantom power on the interface.

The line out of the Roland can go to the line-in inputs of the interface. This is to capture audio information.

The EMU midi interface is of of little value to you. The Roland doesn't have DIN MIDI input or output. However, the Roland does have a USB port, so you can connect it directly to your laptop with a standard USB cable. This will capture midi data.

You need a recording program. There are many around. Reaper is a good one to start with:
REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

In a program such as Reaper you can tell it to capture audio from the interface and midi from the USB, then record everything on to separate tracks.

If you are not sure what midi is, you will need to look it up. Think of it as the digital equivalent of a player piano roll.

You will need speakers or headphones to monitor what you are doing.

TF did you buy all that stuff JS BEFORE asking the likes of us?!

Anyhoos, while I am known to be a great fan of the NI KA6 it might in this instance be a poor match for that microphone, reason being the low phantom current delivery of the KA6. The 2020 needs 4.7mA 'typical' and the KA6 will struggle to meet that. Mind you! I have NO idea how good spook juice is on other AIs, especially those with only USB bus power capability, reviewers never test for it!

So, look at the Steinberg UR22 or one of the Tascams. I would still go for an AI with MIDI ports since IF that interests you, said ports will allow expansion to other kit. The UR22 comes with a light version of Cubase, tricky to learn (but they all are, a bit!) but no better DAW for MIDI.

The latest Focusrite interfaces (2nd Gen') have, I am told improved drivers and latency but you don't get Cubase.

I have deliberately thrown in a few technicalities there and make NO excuse for doing so. This IS a technical exercise and the sooner you buckle down and learn the jargon the sooner you will be recording...Believe me (and they) you have barely scratched the surface of your troubles!

Someone is ALWAYS on hand here to help you.

Dave.

Keep having to log in. Did it ten ago then just tried to post the above and had to login again. Fortunately none of my drivel was lost.

Is this HR ukking up or because I am using IE 11?

Dave.

I have deliberately thrown in a few technicalities there and make NO excuse for doing so.

I can't but help observe that 'spook juice' is a somewhat creative technical term, and perhpas not one that appears in production specifications.

I would recommend you download the FREE version of Magix Music Maker;
[url=http://www.magix.com/us/music

Just grabbed that G and had a 10 min play. Pretty deep for a newb IMHO. Took me a time to get my KA6 found and the buffers set (latency was 4 SECONDS at first!).
If OP has ANY experience of tape recording MMM will be a total culture shock to him. Magix Samplitude Pro X Silver would be a better bet I think. It is of the 'linear' audio recording concept, easier to learn I think.

Dave.

I'm not really suggesting he learn anything other that getting it hooked up. 4 SECONDS latency ? That's good, right ? hahah

I wouldn't think MMM as much of a shock as it would be to regular DAW users.

He doesn't even know what the standard USB hook-up will do. First priority. I suggested it simply as being a step above Audacity. No interface here, just the Roland USB. Magix FREE means it will be just horrible enough to make one buy a full package

MMM is alright. One can play with compositions pretty easily. I wouldn't put it up against our regular DAWs, but for knocking out in the box tracks it does well. A regular DAW user will be looking around for stuff that's not there.

A good number of USB interfaces include recording software (DAW) and the documentation to set it up with a particular interface. That would probably be a good way to start and get ones feet wet and then decide later if a different DAW might work better.

Dave,
It might help with the recording process (or not) :eek:
spook juice

Yeah, most of us know what you mean :D

One might think Cubase was the worst DAW in the World if they looked at the help forums. That is by sheer numbers, though. Would be interesting to know who has the worst time getting a MIC to record - Cubase, or, live - as included software for first time users ?

I've been using Cubase since 1994 on a black and white atari 520 - it's often hard work, having so many bells and whistles to keep every different type of user happy that it just seems complicated. It was the standard choice of many schools in the late 90s who were using it to do A Level Music Technology. Some used Logic instead. Back then there were no alternatives until Cakewalk came along. Now you have tons.

It does strike me though that the topic was started by somebody who hasn't quite worked out what the end product is.

The Roland are fine electric pianos. They keep people happy by having a pretty good sound that is nearly convincing as a real piano. There are many better and more realistic pianos sounds in software now. If you like the keyboard feel, then you can use the computer, via USB to record MIDI data and then play it back on your Roland, or play it back on the built in synth/sample sets the software comes with. On Cubase Sonic is a pretty good sound device with loads of quite usable sounds. If you can get an audio interface that can supply the 48V the mic needs - keeping in mind the try it and see approach because of the mic's somewhat heavy consumption that some interfaces can not provide - then you can record your voice. What you do NOT want to do is even try to record the sound of the Roland's built in speakers - they sound pretty naff when recorded. The audio out from the keyboard is OK - not exceptional. Just not what it's really built for.

Hardly anyone uses the 520. It's all 1020 : )

For sequencing, People still think the Atari is pretty tight

Keep having to log in. Did it ten ago then just tried to post the above and had to login again. Fortunately none of my drivel was lost.

Is this HR ukking up or because I am using IE 11?

Dave.

Probably both. You're not the only one having this issue, though.
I've emailed admin.

There are some things you will need.

If you want to do reasonable recordings, you should think about getting an audio interface. This is designed specifically for recording, and replaces the on-board sound of your laptop.

Something like this interface has the required features and is a good starting point:
Komplete : Audio Interfaces : Komplete Audio 6 | Products

Your AT2050 plugs into the interface into one of the mike channels using an XLR to XLR cable. The AT2050 is a condensor mike, so you need to turn on the phantom power on the interface.

The line out of the Roland can go to the line-in inputs of the interface. This is to capture audio information.

The EMU midi interface is of of little value to you. The Roland doesn't have DIN MIDI input or output. However, the Roland does have a USB port, so you can connect it directly to your laptop with a standard USB cable. This will capture midi data.

You need a recording program. There are many around. Reaper is a good one to start with:
REAPER | Audio Production Without Limits

In a program such as Reaper you can tell it to capture audio from the interface and midi from the USB, then record everything on to separate tracks.

If you are not sure what midi is, you will need to look it up. Think of it as the digital equivalent of a player piano roll.

You will need speakers or headphones to monitor what you are doing.

Good recap right there. Basically, piano and mic plug into the Audio Interface (often shortened to "AI") and the AI to your PC. Microphones are almost always an XLR connection, but all AIs have them, and they basically all have "phantom power" for your condenser mic. As to which AI, there are tons and even the cheaper ones can generally do a fine job, but which to get is very subjective, with people swearing by this or that one. I'm still window shopping myself and none have stood out in the least as "the" one to get. :) That's basically the hardware end.

Software, as gecko said, you need a recording program - known as a "DAW" - and like with AIs, there are many, and at least as many opinions about which is better with no clear answer. Fortunately, many of them have a free or trial version you can download and try.

I suggest you start doing some reading online; there are many sites with general recording info. You might also want to bookmark this for reference (or one like it if you find a better one): Dictionary of Audio Terminology

There's a lot to learn, not just about setting up the hardware and DAW, but (due to the mic) "treating" the room you're recording in (it needn't be elaborate or pricey), how to "mix" a song etc......just give it time, do your homework, and you'll be fine.

Well, he could of had his keyboard working and recording four days ago. When he wants to move on and record the MIC he can get the interface and worry more about a recording application.

Reaper is cool. I was recommending it when it would still fit on a floppy. Anvil Studio would probably be fine for this user, also.

I have another option. I record a lot of orchestrations for documentaries and simply use a BOSS BR-600. The headphone line out from the keyboard connects to the line-in in the BOSS and gets the keyboard output into a mono/stereo track of the BOSS. I can then plug a mic into the BOSS and can record vocals to another track though I prefer to record the vocals separately. The condenser mic is too sensitive for me to record vocals while playing the keyboard because it picks up a lot of the key noise as I am playing so a good dynamic mic might be a better choice.

I have another option. I record a lot of orchestrations for documentaries and simply use a BOSS BR-600. The headphone line out from the keyboard connects to the line-in in the BOSS and gets the keyboard output into a mono/stereo track of the BOSS. I can then plug a mic into the BOSS and can record vocals to another track though I prefer to record the vocals separately. The condenser mic is too sensitive for me to record vocals while playing the keyboard because it picks up a lot of the key noise as I am playing so a good dynamic mic might be a better choice.

The line-in on the Boss recorder is mono, so you are not getting a stereo signal, and in fact, unless you use a stereo-to-mono adapter from your keyboard's headphone output, you will only be recording one side (left I think) of the keyboard output. This only make a difference if you are using a sound patch on the keyboard that has a stereo effect on it.

What ?

"The line-in on the Boss recorder is mono, so you are not getting a stereo signal"

What kind of inputs are on your interface : )

Aside, a lot of modern patches exist purely for the effects. They still seem to be just fine on regular L/MONO out. Just about all my "STEREO" synths just run MONO . What a mess running everything STEREO

Back