how good a reverb?

jnorman

what is the least expensive reverb unit that can actually deliver studio-quality? i can hear an amazing difference in the quality of the reverb on a james galway recording than i can get out of my alesis nanoverb. is the $300 lexicon adequate? other than a good reverb, should i use a BBE sonic maximizer or similar? a noise gate? in what form do you submit a recording for mastering? what does mastering do?

i have a alesis midiverb, and its a great multi f/x processor but it has very weak reverbs in my opinion, so i bought a processor that didnt have all those presets and things, its more of a "only reverb and delay" unit and it sounds much better. i find that things that have only one purpose sound alot better than things that do all kinds of things at once. the unit i picked up was used and its called Digitech TSR-6, im very pleased. i dont know much about the others so ill let someone else help u with those. hope i helped a lil. Jal

Try an Alesis Quadraverb 2. I doubt that you will find a better reverb for less, and in some cases, for more. If you don't find usable, great quality reverbs on this unit, you need to learn how to configure reverbs.

If you got bucks, try the Lexicon PCM - 90. LOL....only about $2500!

Good luck.

Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

Hey JNorman:

I've had a few reverbs over the years in my home studio; at present I have an Ensonique DP-4 which a very versitile box; however, I also use an Alesis, can't remember if it's the quad-verb or another. Both are programmable so you can edit a patch. But, I find that after you tinker with almost any reverb unit, you will find two or three settings that please your ear; for example, a setting for female vocals; a setting for male vocals; a setting for a small group done on a synthesizer, etc.

I suggest you rent a unit from one of the big companies and see how it works and how it pleases your ears. Yamaha and Sony also make some expensive but nice reverbs; if I went that way, I'd rent and listen before I started calling the 800 numbers for the best deal. Be sure and price items using the 800 system because you can find a difference of more than $200.00 in some cases.

Happy Reverbing,

Green Hornet

Back