How to get rid of pulsing/clicking sound when recording

nate1985

Hello everyone,

I just recently got the Fender Mustang II amp and have been trying to do some recording with it via the USB port using the Live 8 program that came with it. The problem I am having is that after about 10 minutes of hearing/playing my guitar (with distortion), I start to hear what I can only describe as pulsing/clicking sound that reverberates everytime I pluck a string. I have done some searching on the net to try and solve this problem and the advice seems to be to turn down the input levels, as the pulsing is a result of feedback from the amp. I have tried doing this (I turned the volume way down on my amp) but again, after about 10 minutes of playing the pulsing/clicking began again. I am at a loss at what to do next and I'd really like to start recording, but can't until I've resolved the issue. I thought maybe I need a new soundcard, but I don't want to spend money on one if it won't fix the issue. Any help would be much appreciated.

Can you post a sound clip of what you are hearing? I am curious. You need ten posts to put up a link but there are other ways to get a link up.

You say it happens after 10min. What do you do to re-set the problem? i.e Shut down and re-boot your DAW, close the program, shut the amp off? Try different things to better isolate the problem.

So you're running straight out from the amp to USB? What are you using for recording software, is it something included with the amp?

Have you tried any troubleshooting (changing USB cables, changing guitars, changing guitar cables)? Another thing you can try is reloading the software. Do you have another computer with a different sound card you can try?

Also, not to sound too stupid, but are you maybe getting the pickups too close to the speakers, and creating a feedback loop with all of the magnets near eachother, and sound coming out of the speakers into the pickups?

Hi Jimmy and PDP,

Here's a link (below) to a video clip I've uploaded (I had to use the video recorder on my ipod) with the noise. Hopefully you know what it is. PDP, I have tried all the things you mentioned to try and fix it. It does become clear again when I reboot the program, but then after a while it starts with the noise again. I'm pretty sure it's a feedback problem but I'm no expert.

pulsingclickingnoise.mp4]Pictures by nate19855 - Photobucket video by nate19855 - Photobucket

Aaron,

Yeah, there's a usb port on the amp and I am using live 8 by Albeton. It's pretty good and has saved me the trouble of having to buy separate software. It won't be a problem with the cables as I'm using new ones (both the guitar cable and the usb cable are new). Reloading does work, but then after 10 minutes it starts off again. I never thought about being to close to the amp, but yes, I am playing the guitar whilst sat right next to the it. I will try moving it further away and see what happens. Thanks!

Back