How Dumb Is This?

Well, shit happens...

Better results now I am sure. :)

I am curious which of the songs on your link were done with the logo on the mic pointed the wrong way?

Tmelvin,
Guilty as charged..... I have been known to slap a mic (in fact it was 2035 too) into the shock mount with pop filter in front, and wonder why it sounds like I am in the other room talking. Experience is the best teacher though!!! I always check for the logo now. I bet you will too.
Dale

I had one mic that had the capsule mounted the wrong way from the factory :facepalm: It always pays to try both sides anyway when getting a new mic.

I did a demo for a band a few years back, we had limited time so the setup was a bit rushed, I miced the guitar amp with a LDC, I thought the guitar sound was a bit strange but it seemed to fit the music so I thought the guitarist had set his sound up that way, when we finished and packed up I noticed the mic had been the wrong way round the whole session, the guitarist loved the guitar sound saying it was the best sound he had every recorded.

Alan.

I have a Lewitt LCD that does not make it very clear which side to use...twice, I have used it the wrong way, in both cases, it sounded fine enough to use. In fact, the first time, my friends' punk band was doing some loud backup vocals, and I had one of them set the mic up since I was doing their EP for almost nothing. He put it the wrong way, which made it face my drum kit...we thought the vocals sounded strange, but we all agreed that it was really cool! You could hear a strange resonance more than his actual voice. I didn't notice the mistake until we were breaking down, but it made the cut :)

I usually keep my cab miked up all the time but on the occasion that I move it or put it away I always get confused on which way it goes when I put it back. It says "FRONT" on it and Im always like "front of the cab? Facing towards the front or out towards the front?" lol.

My MXL 2001 has a logo on one side and "Uni Directional Condenser Microphone" on the other. Took me a few times to realize the logo goes toward my (or the guitar's) hole.

Maybe I'm unlucky but I have to test every mic--some like their logo towards the singer/sound source while others like it facing the audience/camera/acoustically treated wall or whatever. Same with switches--some are on the performer side while other are designed to be accessible to the recordist and away from the sound source. Ah well, it takes but a moment to check and I tend to put some kind of mark on the "sing this side" side but invariable they get lost over time.

Back