How does dry vocal sound?

anoopbal

Here is my dry voice without any effects (no compressor or EQ).

Is this how you hear the vocals when you record?

I am using Shure Beta 58 and about 7in (tilted 45deg) from the microphone. I "think" there is lot of low end and not a lot of high end. I don't know if this has something to do with the dynamic microphone, or my room acoustics or that's just my voice. Can you please check?

It sounds pretty natural to me, with a good overall balance for a lead vocal. However for a finished recording I would need it to be smoother in level i.e. either compressed or the levels automated (I prefer automated) I like to have a good preamp that can add some hi sheen to a vocal (12k-16k) but if you don't have something good just leave it natural, its not a necessity. Most importantly is for the vocal to "sit" nice in the mix, so its a skill to level out a vocal track and still preserve the natural sound of the track.

Thank you!

I added EQ, Comp & Reverb and this is how it sounds. For EQ, I did the usual high pass and a small bell at 5K. What do you think? Would you add anything more with EQ? ?Just curious.

For some reason when I add reverb, the low end sticks out or sounds boomy and I have to use a lot of high pass (around 200 with .8 Q). I tried working with reverb ableton , but I can't figure it out.

For some reason when I add reverb, the low end sticks out or sounds boomy and I have to use a lot of high pass (around 200 with .8 Q). I tried working with reverb ableton , but I can't figure it out.

You should probably roll some lows out of the reverb.
You might either have a control for the low factor (or sonmething alike) in your reverb plugin,
or you can use the verb in a send and use an eq plugin after the reverb in the send channel.

All the best,

You should probably roll some lows out of the reverb.
You might either have a control for the low factor (or sonmething alike) in your reverb plugin,
or you can use the verb in a send and use an eq plugin after the reverb in the send channel.

All the best,

Thanks. I put the EQ in the send channel and I can better control the low end. Thanks for the tip!

Sounds like it's in a church - just wrong type of reverb really.

Thanks Rob. What were you thinking? If you can, can you just add the reverb? (with comp and EQ, like a quick mix)

i would love to see how others do it since I am just a newbie. If you are interested I can send just that vocal and instrument part seperate.

Back