how do you record a quiet singing voice?

musicfiend311

Hi, I'm new to recording and want to record myself outdoors but when I sing in a low voice the guitar drowns out my voice
because it's not loud. Even if I play the guitar as quietly as I can, I can't hear myself and the vocal doesn't come out as good.

The only thing I can think of is get a battery powered PA and set up the mic by the speaker and record it that way.
would that be the best way? I want as high a quality as I could possibly get it and also do not want to record the vocal and
guitar separately.

I plan on getting a Zoom H5 as well. I really looked all over the place and couldn't find any suggestions on the best way to do this.
Appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks

A few things come to mind?
Why the Zoom? IMHO you need two mics, one on guitar, one CLOSE to gob* and plugged into a decent but conventional AI. One of the Focusrites would serve you well. For mics I would go for Small Diaphragm Capacitors and if possible get them with an attenuator switch for guitar? Speaking of guitar, can you restring with nylons?

If you can get reasonable isolation between the tracks you can then tweak later.

Another thought. Are you singing FOR other people, i.e. 'gigging'? If so and those people are happy with the results try a stereo pair out front? That will pickup what THEY are hearing and are happy with.

*You need to be close and I mean DAMN close! Lips practically brushing the basket, that will result in a bass boost (for directional mics, most are) but that can be corrected in software.

Finally, post some clips. I am no judge but plenty here are and will surely set you on a good path.

Ah! I just saw "battery" ? So, the Zoom might be all you can use? I am not sure the mic pres are really good enough on those? Others here will know. Personally I would go, USB bus powered AI and laptop.
Dave.

Re:

A few things come to mind?
Why the Zoom? IMHO you need two mics, one on guitar, one CLOSE to gob* and plugged into a decent but conventional AI. One of the Focusrites would serve you well. For mics I would go for Small Diaphragm Capacitors and if possible get them with an attenuator switch for guitar? Speaking of guitar, can you restring with nylons?

If you can get reasonable isolation between the tracks you can then tweak later.

Another thought. Are you singing FOR other people, i.e. 'gigging'? If so and those people are happy with the results try a stereo pair out front? That will pickup what THEY are hearing and are happy with.

*You need to be close and I mean DAMN close! Lips practically brushing the basket, that will result in a bass boost (for directional mics, most are) but that can be corrected in software.

Finally, post some clips. I am no judge but plenty here are and will surely set you on a good path.

Ah! I just saw "battery" ? So, the Zoom might be all you can use? I am not sure the mic pres are really good enough on those? Others here will know. Personally I would go, USB bus powered AI and laptop.
Dave.

Hi ecc83, yes I plan on using 2 mics and editing each track later. I thought the Zoom H5 would give me very good quality sound but maybe not?
I have a Focusrite 2i4 for my desktop PC and a laptop as well so that is also an option for me if it will sound a lot better, although it might not be as quick and easy for run and gun.

My biggest problem is I can't hear myself sing at some points because the guitar is too loud and it throws me off. Maybe if I go the laptop route, I could try to find
some big laptop speakers and blast it so I can hear my voice though that.

I'm not playing in front of a crowd, just want to make some youtube videos with good quality sound.

Hi ecc83, yes I plan on using 2 mics and editing each track later. I thought the Zoom H5 would give me very good quality sound but maybe not?
I have a Focusrite 2i4 for my desktop PC and a laptop as well so that is also an option for me if it will sound a lot better, although it might not be as quick and easy for run and gun.

My biggest problem is I can't hear myself sing at some points because the guitar is too loud and it throws me off. Maybe if I go the laptop route, I could try to find
some big laptop speakers and blast it so I can hear my voice though that.

I'm not playing in front of a crowd, just want to make some youtube videos with good quality sound.

Ok, if hearing yourself it a problem, stay with the 2 mic setup I outlined but feed the voice track only to one ear? One side of headphones but a 'bud' might be more practical?

The F'rite has Direct Monitoring.

Dave.

The zoom would do as an interface too, so it's pretty versatile a recorder and/or interface. Add a couple of mics one for you and the other the guitar (or a DI if you have the socket - makes editing easier as there's no crosstalk).

Sounds OK to me.

I've read this a couple times and I'm not 100% sure but are you saying just the acoustic sound of your guitar makes it hard for you to hear your own singing? I.e., it's a "monitoring" problem? If so, and you're making a video, then I'd say you need to look into either wireless in-ear-monitors (IEMs) or a speaker that is placed so it doesn't create feedback, coupled with tight-pattern cardioid mics, with the monitor mix 90% just your vocal. With good mics, I'd think the Zoom is fine for recording, though you have to realize you cannot move around a lot and record a guitar acoustically. The H5 manual details how to set up direct monitoring and adjust the balance, so you could feed the LINE OUT directly to a transmitter or powered speaker for monitoring primarily your vocal.

The other option would be to go through a mixer that had the capability of outputting a separate monitor mix, and send the main (often panned right/left) into your H5 or an audio interface for post-processing.

re:

Ok, if hearing yourself it a problem, stay with the 2 mic setup I outlined but feed the voice track only to one ear? One side of headphones but a 'bud' might be more practical?

The F'rite has Direct Monitoring.

Dave.

Thanks guys! both methods you and keith.rogers mentioned would work. I came across this video last night after I posted which shows how to hook up studio monitors or portable speakers to a Zoom H6
(oh well, wouldn't let me post it because I'm a new member)

I'll try both ways and see what's easier because I get up and move around a lot when I'm recording.

Thanks guys! both methods you and keith.rogers mentioned would work. I came across this video last night after I posted which shows how to hook up studio monitors or portable speakers to a Zoom H6
(oh well, wouldn't let me post it because I'm a new member)

I'll try both ways and see what's easier because I get up and move around a lot when I'm recording.
If you move around a lot it will be better for recording, though not, perhaps as good a guitar sound, if you can plug in directly. I'd use a DI if you do that, but you can experiment - depends on how far you're running the 1/4" cord and whether it matches up Ok with the input of the Zoom.

Someone else (new to forum) had a similar problem posting a video link, but you can always just post the video ID, and we'll paste it on after the YT URL. Something like this: watch?v=2z9lg-JZvxs

Back