How do you all record streaming sound from the computer?

JLondon

Cat Herder
I didn't know I was going to run into so many issues when I started reading about how to go about this...

All I wanted to do was play a guitar/sing over a internet sourced streaming backing track and record it (for practice).

I learned so far:

1) Windows 7 removed the "stereo mix" (also known as wave out) as a recording option unless you have certain drivers (I finally got the right Realtek ones and enabled it)
2) Its easy to create a feedback loop or a crappy A/D converting situation.
3) It seems like the holy grail is to try and intercept the digital stream pre- A/D (before the line out)
4) Running the line out from the computer card into the mixer (or scarlett) is an option but not that great of quality?
5) Only the audio card in the computer will output a stereo mix stream from the computer? Why? Why can't the Scarlett do this?
6) Virtual sound cards are a thing for this. Haven't tried this yet.
7) If I try to hook up record and play paths through the Scarlett and back into the mixer I predictably get a echo/delay/feedback loop.

Whew! Is all this because the powers that be are afraid I am recording some copyrighted content? Why so hard?

My setup:
1) Yamaha MG82 mixer I bought for learning
2)Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
3) Reaper for a DAW

I am leaning on dumping the mixer and using an 4-8 input interface, seems easier, cleaner (I sometimes need 4 inputs). I finally got "stereo-mix" as an input option to show in my ASIO4ALL (changed drivers) but it has an error next to it (in use/MS synth?) and wont enable... GRRR All I want to do is record some Karaoke basically... I am pretty new at this so any info about how you are able to record computer (streaming) audio as a source in your DAW is appreciated.

I run my monitor cables back into the interface, arm a stereo track, set the input levels, press record. Done. Easy as pie.

Record the track off the stream FIRST. Insert the file in your DAW. Monitor it like you would any other pre-recorded track while you record new tracks.

So I guess my problem is that I wasn't recording the computer track FIRST and then the other tracks. I will run the monitor cables back to the interface- record the computer track, then the instruments.... Will try this. Thx.

6) Virtual sound cards are a thing for this. Haven't tried this yet.

Digital I/O is a good way to go but if you don't have that option you can look at free software called soundflower.
It's basically a set of virtual I/O.

If I ever need to record a stream of something I set the system output to soundflower (2ch) and set my DAW to record from the same.
It means you're temporarily deaf to what's happening, but that's never been a problem for me.

Once done, set your DAW I/O back to your audio interface and get to work. :)

I'd just like to mention that if there isn't a free download for the track, and it's only available as a stream, that it is probably for a reason...

That said, you might try a website like keepvid, which will re-encode youtube videos and other streaming sources to a format you can download.

Thanks for all the inputs. Lots to try here. Ash- you're right about the copyright infringe... I don't do that- no worries. Just playing along with some backing tracks for my own practice- playing and recording... learning the ropes.

When ever I want to play along to YouTube backing tracks I just use a website to convert to mp3. Just Google YouTube to mp3. Pop it into your daw and play along.

Last edited:
After fiddling some more with it- I am back to running a record /play loop and its working ok. I swore it was echoing or feeding back but it seems to not be doing this now. So I am running the interface back into the mixer return/ and the mixer record out into the interface. No noticeable echo right now. My brain says it shouldn't work but I guess the Scarlett is keeping the streams separate like you say. Not sure if it will fall apart when I do more with the DAW we'll see. Worst I've seen happen is an echo loop - then we're back to recording mp3 backing tracks... right now I'm practicing and streaming backing tracks in real time... Next up- ditch the mixer and get a 6i6...!!

"Only the audio card in the computer will output a stereo mix stream from the computer? Why? Why can't the Scarlett do this?"

Because there is no audio path from the output of the Scarlet back to the computer.

Both my W7/64 and my XP (yes! Still on'tnet and still fine!) desktop PCs have M-A 2496 sound cards in them and in the ordinary course of events I just set my DAW software to "Mon Mix" and I can record whatever is playing thru' the PCs

However, the W7/64 PC is presently set up with my NI KA6 interface (I am checking something out for somebody) and so the 2496 is not the primary sound source and I have lost that facility pro tem.

BTW the 6i6 only has 2 mic amps and so if there might be a future need to record with 4 mics (or more as a mix) keep the mixer.

Actually it is better to record in realtime and then turn it from mp***t into a .wav file. It won't SOUND any better but it WILL play on just about anything and be editable.

Dave.

Saffire pro 40 is my interface, it has a loop back feature. Which loops what im hearing on the computer and routes it to outputs that I set in my daw to record.

If its' something you can find on youtube, download a youtube downloader and download it. It'll give you the option to not download the video to just download the MP3.

Back