How do I setup a podcast with multiple guests? So that each guest has his own mic?

WaldoJones

I'm going to layout a problem I have, and I need help from educated musicians, radio hosts, and podcasters to tell me what I need to have to fix this problem.

Scenario: I have 3 microphones, 3 headphones, and 3 guests. Each guest has his own microphone and his own headphone (so that the guest can hear his own voice). Everyone is located in the same room.

Problem: How do I set this up in a way that all 3 guests can hear each other through their headphones? What equipment is needed.
I may also want a multi-track recorder. If I did get one, how would it play into effect? What do I need, and what plugs into what?

Please help me fix this issue so that I can start my podcast!

This is easy if I am reading it right.

You need a mixer or interface with multiple mic inputs, you connect the headphones (all 3) to the headphone output. When you set the microphone levels the same volume, the guests will hear each other at the same volume in the headphones.

You may need to give more information, what are you using to get the mics into the computer for the pod cast.

Alan.

This is easy if I am reading it right.

You need a mixer or interface with multiple mic inputs, you connect the headphones (all 3) to the headphone output. When you set the microphone levels the same volume, the guests will hear each other at the same volume in the headphones.

You may need to give more information, what are you using to get the mics into the computer for the pod cast.

Alan.

Could you refer me to a great mixer for someone who will never need more than 4-5 voices?

What are you using to get the mics into the computer for the pod cast.

Honestly, I have no idea. I don't have enough knowledge to get that far. I can't just plug the mixer into a computer and use adobe audition to record it?

Also, where does a headphone amp come into play? It's not necessary?
And what if I want each microphone to give it's own track so that I can edit-out noises such as coughing or sneezing later?

Could you refer me to a great mixer for someone who will never need more than 4-5 voices?

For podcast quality you could just buy a BEhringer mixer with 4 Mic inputs, get the USB one (see next answer).

Honestly, I have no idea. I don't have enough knowledge to get that far. I can't just plug the mixer into a computer and use adobe audition to record it?

The computer input will not sound that good, even the usb Behringer mixer will sound batter.

Also, where does a headphone amp come into play? It's not necessary?

You will need a headphone amp if the headphone output of the mixer does not have enough power to run 3 headphones, getting a headphone amp will be good anyway as you can then have the headphones at each guests preferred level.

And what if I want each microphone to give it's own track so that I can edit-out noises such as coughing or sneezing later?

Whole new ball game, you then need a mixer / interface that is capable of sending each mic to a different track, what is the budget for this project?

Alan.

For podcast quality you could just buy a BEhringer mixer with 4 Mic inputs, get the USB one (see next answer).

The computer input will not sound that good, even the usb Behringer mixer will sound batter.

You will need a headphone amp if the headphone output of the mixer does not have enough power to run 3 headphones, getting a headphone amp will be good anyway as you can then have the headphones at each guests preferred level.

Whole new ball game, you then need a mixer / interface that is capable of sending each mic to a different track, what is the budget for this project?

Let's say $500 to $1k. Try to keep it under $1k, but roam all budgets if you throw equipment suggestions at me. Assume I've already bought all 3-4 microphones and headphones.

What are the benefits of a headphones amp besides power and individual volume control? Does it influence the sound any? Also, assume I have 4 guests all using the Sony MDR-7506 (think I typed that right). I don't truly need a headphone amp unless people are partly deaf or picky about the volume control, right?

What about multi-track recorders?

On this link, under USB vs. Analog it mentions a "pre-amp", Is that something that I need?
techneblog. com /article/choosing-microphone-your-podcast (I guess I can't post links yet, remove the space)

Edit: Just thought of two other things to add:
1. What's a pre-amp, and will I need one?
2. My podcast will be 1-2 hours long. I think that's worth noting.

Last edited:
On this link, under USB vs. Analog it mentions a "pre-amp", Is that something that I need?
techneblog. com /article/choosing-microphone-your-podcast (I guess I can't post links yet, remove the space)

Edit: Just thought of two other things to add:
1. What's a pre-amp, and will I need one?
2. My podcast will be 1-2 hours long. I think that's worth noting.

You could buy something like a Tascam interface with multiple mic inputs, like the US1800, a bit over kill, but it will let you record up to 8 mics on separate channels and you won't need any other mic pre amps.

I would then buy a Headphone amp like the Behringer HA4700, will power up to 8 headphones with 4 different volume levels available. Both the Tascam and the HA4700 will still be under your budget.

I have often recorded up to 3 hours during lecture type recordings.

Cheers
Alan.

You could buy something like a Tascam interface with multiple mic inputs, like the US1800, a bit over kill, but it will let you record up to 8 mics on separate channels and you won't need any other mic pre amps.

I would then buy a Headphone amp like the Behringer HA4700, will power up to 8 headphones with 4 different volume levels available. Both the Tascam and the HA4700 will still be under your budget.

I have often recorded up to 3 hours during lecture type recordings.

Cheers
Alan.

Can you downgrade your suggested equipment to something that works fine just for 4-5, I feel like I'm paying for the extra 4 people I'll never host.

Also, doesn't it become a major problem when I record a 1 or 2 hour podcast and it creates 8 different 1 hour files?
Oh and can you please reply to Post #5?

Can you downgrade your suggested equipment to something that works fine just for 4-5, I feel like I'm paying for the extra 4 people I'll never host.

It was a suggestion, you need to shop around for yourself.

Also, doesn't it become a major problem when I record a 1 or 2 hour podcast and it creates 8 different 1 hour files?
Oh and can you please reply to Post #5?

Not on my software?

Alan.

P.S what did I not answer? Also the Tascam suggestion is a multitrack recorder.

I hear multi-track recorders are a disaster for monitoring.

From who? You only wanted multi track for editing/mixing later, when recording the headphones will just be a mix of the mics going into the interface

Also, is this a good mixer for my need?
"Mackie PROFX8 8-Channel Compact Effects Mixer with USB"

This is the type of thing I suggested at the beginning with the Behringer, however it only records the mix to stereo at the USB out. It won't let you put each mic on its own track.

Do you think you are making this over complicated, are you really going to edit a 1 to 2 hour pod cast, the editing will take at least 3 times that. You just need to ensure that the levels of each mic are correct at the time of recording.

Alan.

Recording a podcast for later broadcast and doing a live feed are two different exercises.

If the people in your podcast know about microphone technique and aren't going to talk all over each other and start shouting and max out signals then you can get by with 4 mics, a mixer with a stereo output only - either analogue (which will then require conversion to digital) or USB (which is digital, will be fine. Just about any mixer, seriously..

Mixers usually come as 4, 8, 12, 16, 24 channels - if you'll ever have 5 people, you'll need an 8 - and make sure it has enough XLR inputs to cater.

If you are using condenser microphones, you'll need phantom power - but for a podcast with multiple people in close proximity, presumably facing each other so you get interaction, I'm not so sure you'd use condensers - too much cross feed. My $0.02.

Mixers have preamps.

A headphone amp will not just give you the ability to have individual volumes, it will give you the ability to have individual headphones - you'll need one if you want people to wear headphones. And everyone gets the same feed. Why would you only want to hear your own voice? Question I'd ask is whether you need everyone to wear headphones.

If your podcasters are a bunch of people with no idea how microphones work and who jump around and yell and scream, then you'll need more equipment and to record each track individually and edit it into a cohesive whole later. A bit painful really, and you'll need a mixer that feeds individual tracks to your computer, or an audio interface. And an extra person with a ruler to whack anyone who peaks their microphone signal on the back of the head to remind them not to do it again or you need limiters on each channel - and I sense that's probably getting a bit past your level of competence at the moment...

Back