How do I remove bass drum from overheads?

guitarsg1

What up everyone. Question- I recently recorded a drumset using 9 mics. My VS890 only has 6 inputs, so I had to route some mics through a mixer first. So, unfortunatley, I have bass drum, toms, and the 2 overheads all on the same 2 (stereo) tracks. Now, there is way too much bass drum on these tracks, and not enough cymbal- when I want more cymbal and raise the levels, I get too much bass drum. Since I used 2 mics on the bass drum, I have the bass drum on an individual track as well. So, my question is, how can I remove as much bass drum out of the overhead/tom/bass drum tracks as possible without compromising the sound of the toms and cymbals? Any EQ suggestions? Thanks!

Low cut on the EQ. Does the bleed actually ruin the whole sound, though? Drum mixing should be approached in the context of the whole kit sound. Dont worry about the individual tracks so much.

Please refrain from posting the same thread in more than one forum in the future. This is known as "cross posting" and is frowned upon on this BBS and is also something you agreed to NOT do when you signed up to become a member of this site (you were asked to Agree with a bunch of conditions that you probably didn't read during the sign up process....). I went ahead and deleted your "cross post" in the Mixing/Mastering forum.

You will not be succesful at removing the kick drum on your stereo track without adversely effecting the toms on that track. There is no eq that is going to help too much, because any eq you apply will effect EVERYTHING on that track.

Anyway, you might try time aligning the kick drum track with that stereo track, and maybe giving the stereo track about a 3dB boost with a High Shelf Filter set at maybe 8KHz, maybe a bit higher.

Good luck.

Ed

You could take the original bass drum track and use it to make a track out of phase with the original. Then mix this out of phase track with your overhead tracks. This should remove a good chunk of kick from the overhead tracks without adversley effecting anything else (if done carefully).

MONTE said:
You could take the original bass drum track and use it to make a track out of phase with the original. Then mix this out of phase track with your overhead tracks. This should remove a good chunk of kick from the overhead tracks without adversley effecting anything else (if done carefully).

Niiiiicccceee suggestion! 5 stars *****

I might also recommend using a multiband compressor, apply it on everything below 100 hz, and use an extreme setting. That will allow you to get rid of a lot of the kick without effecting the EQ on the rest of the track too dramatically.

Back