how do I listen to track 1 while recording track 2?

nassa

I have this problem where I can't listen to pre recorded tracks through my headphones while I record another track to go with it. ie, listen to the gtar track while I put vocals down on top. I'm recording through channel 1 and 7/8 channel is the playback.
It's rather difficult recording like this!!! Please help.
Cheers, Nassa

?

what is your hardware setup again? what kind of mixer and soundcard and what software are you using?

I'm using cubase vst32, a behringerUB1204-PRO mixer which has a built in FX unit in it (that I can't work out properly yet either!!!), a Realtek AC97 sound card and my PC runs windows XP (not sure if that's what you meant by hardware ?)
Both channel's 1 and 7/8 are muted and I can hear back track 1 while recording track 2 but I get lots of reverb (but not while recording track 1 and nothing is on in cubase). if I press the solo button as well on channel 1, the mic seems to amplify heaps more (like it should I think) but hen it cancels out the pre recorded track and I hear Jack to sing too!!
What do you think?

hi nassa-
what you're recording and what you're playing back is a cubase thing then. you'd probably get a more informed response in the cubase forum, but the idea would be to record enable the track you're recording on while listening to the other tracks already recorded into cubase which would be playing in headphones while you play along.

if you're recorded the first two tracks then you know how to record enable a track, just record enable a new track and leave the audio files for the other ones there and build your tracks up that way.

does this make sense?

if you don't know how to do that then ask in the cubase forum.

on a side note, maybe look in the manual about the "Inspector" which is a window that pops out of the side of the arrange window much like the 'history' window in Internet Explorer. The inspector has nice easy settings for inputs and outputs for whichever track is currently selected I think.

good luck!

Thanks heaps Boze! I think I understand what you're saying....to get the 1st track down and save it into cubase as an audio file BEFORE recording another...? I'll try that. I read a few articles from this website: http://www.ethanwiner.com/mixer2daw.html
which have been helpful.
if all else fails, Ill go to the cubase forum. I'll post back my success with this problem soon (HOPEFULLY)!
Thanks again for your help.
LOL Nassa

Back