how can i convert multitrack analog recordings to multtrack digital recordings?

lostmultitrakr

I am trying to convert my old 4 trk tapes onto a br16oo. I am having a problem with low levels coming from the fostex direct tape outs. Does anyone know of something that has 4 in puts and 4 out puts that will allow me to boost the audio levels?

well I'm not to familiar with a br16oo. actually i never hear of it, so I'm just going to assume that its some sort of digital workstation.

well if you are coming out of the fostex you should already be at line level, maybe you need to change some gain settings or something.

what exactly are you using to bridge the signal? rca-?

if you need a 4ch pre amp or compressor there are plenty out there to chose from, but like i said you might just need to change some gain setting, what kinda feature do you have on you br16oo?

sorry i cant be of better help to you, i just need to know more about all 3 devices
1 4trk
2 cables
3 br16oo

The br1600 is a Boss daw. I have changed the gain on both devices with no real affect. The tape outs are supposed to be for connecting to a midi controller, according to the fostex manual, and apparently are not being amplified by the unit. I was hoping to be able to do this without a lot of cash for a preamp, a good one anyway. I thought maybe a headphone amp, but not sure of the signal degradation or soun quality issues going through another device with more volume controls and possible eqs. I was hoping someone knew of a simple 4 input 4 ouput amp or something similar. Once I convert I will really have no need for one more piece of equipment collecting dust. Thanks for any input.

i found the br1600cd:

you have 8 pre-amps in that unit.

it sounds like you don't need to buy anything other than a different set of cables.

it all depends on what sort of outs you have on you fostex. what is the model #, I'll look it up.

--mike--

The br1600 is a Boss daw. I have changed the gain on both devices with no real affect. The tape outs are supposed to be for connecting to a midi controller, according to the fostex manual, and apparently are not being amplified by the unit. I was hoping to be able to do this without a lot of cash for a preamp, a good one anyway. I thought maybe a headphone amp, but not sure of the signal degradation or soun quality issues going through another device with more volume controls and possible eqs. I was hoping someone knew of a simple 4 input 4 ouput amp or something similar. Once I convert I will really have no need for one more piece of equipment collecting dust. Thanks for any input.

Get yourself an audio interface. Plug the tape outs into the inputs of the interface and hit record on your software whilst your boss is playing. Some have preamps built in, theres really too many models for me to choose one. I use an edirol fa101 for doing what you are doing and it suits my needs. On my edirol theres only two pre amps with gain control, but there is 10 ins and 10 outs altogether. i sometimes do two passes to record in if i want to match gain settings. you could always go via a mixer or a seperate pre amp.

If the Fostex unit has tape outs, I assume that means it also has seperate main outs. I'd run main out to the Boss instead of the tape out. If you tape outs are at -10dBV and your main outs at +4dBu - which I suspect may just be the case - that will give you almost 8dB of boost, and deliver what the Boss is probably expecting.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it that much. Throwing a preamp in line between the units will boost your tape and line noise as much as it will the signal. Once you get it into digital there are plenty of things that can be done to bring your final mix up to desired volume without getting so much noise.

G.

Why in the Sam Hell would anyone want to go and do a thing like that?

Don't you know? ... Analog sounds better than Digital.

Why the heck would you purposely make something so warm and analogy suddenly turn cold and digitized ? ! ! ! And on purpose even! ! ? Oh, the humanity! :eek:

:D :D :D :D

Back