How to achieve audio that sounds like the bottom of a well?

lakaianddie

I am working on a film project and have to record some dialog which takes place at the bottom of a well, but honestly have no idea how to achieve that artificially. Any tips and/or advice is greatly welcomed.

Reverb/echo...play with the parameters until you get what you want.

It would help if you knew how a the bottom of deep well would sound.

Add some dripping water sounds too?

Perhaps try recording any voices or other sounds heard from the top down a 4-5 drain tube to simulate the resonance?

I would start to play with reverb and different kinds of echo.
And especially play with the dry and wet amounts.

And some other plugins could extend the effect too. Thinking about playing with the settings chorus and flangers.

How deep is the well and why is Timmy always falling in there? Lassie's all but given up on 'em.

I assume the character listening is outside the well? 'cause dialog is gonna sound very different between the top and bottom.

Top listener would be very wet reverb, short resonant time, dry signal turned way down, long tail
Bottom listener would be much the same but with less wet signal and more dry signal

i've done this effect before,
using a print of JUST the reverb effect, i think we used a long plate,
and running THAT verb into a second verb, probably a long hall,
and blending those two together with the original sound that is being reflected...
the first verb, was a mono,
the second was stereo, spread further using a waves S1 plug, and the high end was rolled off a lot.

Back