Hooking up Tascam 234 4 track to external board?

Help Help

Hey friends. I am recording on a Tascam 234 4 track cassette machine. The 234 does not have an option for EQ. I think I might need it for some things. I have a Yamaha MT4X as well. Could I hook it up somehow to use the faders/eqs? If so, how? Would it detiorate the original signal, or just allow for an extra option?

I suppose this could go in the Analog only section, but it didn't seem out of place here necessarily. Thanks!

You can route it through the MT4X
If you just want to mix recorded material through the MT4X mixer, just connect the 234 tape outs to the MT4X channel inputs.
If you want to record through the MT4X mixer, you could connect your microphones etc to the MT4X mixer, select the correct record routing buttons (and pan), activate record on all 4 tracks on the MT4X, hit the rec button only, and connect the MT4X tape outs to the 234 inputs.
But don't leave the MT4X on all the time as the capstan motor is always spinning, it will wear out over time.

You can route it through the MT4X
If you just want to mix recorded material through the MT4X mixer, just connect the 234 tape outs to the MT4X channel inputs.
If you want to record through the MT4X mixer, you could connect your microphones etc to the MT4X mixer, select the correct record routing buttons (and pan), activate record on all 4 tracks on the MT4X, hit the rec button only, and connect the MT4X tape outs to the 234 inputs.
But don't leave the MT4X on all the time as the capstan motor is always spinning, it will wear out over time.

I think that exact thing happened to my MT4X ha. That's rather astute of you! So would I need some sort of RCA to 1/4 inch jack cable then? And 4 of them? Also, is there any reason to think the quality would suffer running the 234 into the MT4X mixing board and then into computer? Thank you so much for your response and knowledge! Your knowledge is gold to me ha.

Hey friends. I am recording on a Tascam 234 4 track cassette machine. The 234 does not have an option for EQ. I think I might need it for some things. I have a Yamaha MT4X as well. Could I hook it up somehow to use the faders/eqs? If so, how? Would it detiorate the original signal, or just allow for an extra option?

I suppose this could go in the Analog only section, but it didn't seem out of place here necessarily. Thanks!

I used the 234 with an external mixer, almost 30 years ago! I don't know the quality of the MT4x, but otherwise, yes you can do it and probably should use external processing with that deck.

I used the 234 with an external mixer, almost 30 years ago! I don't know the quality of the MT4x, but otherwise, yes you can do it and probably should use external processing with that deck.

Thanks for reply! Umm..by "external processing", do you mean anything in particular that I should know?

Back