Home Recording Road to Success: Question 1 (Recording Vocals)

neffi7

i know this is like the millionth question concerning this but i figured theres no other way for ppl to answer me if i dont begin a new thread:)

anyways i have a mxl3000 mic with maudio dmp3 preamp....and i use a kenwood vr305 amplifier connected to a maudio audiophile 2496 soundcard

these are my settings...my problem is...wheneever i put on my headphones and record i get this sound on my headphones...like a shhhhhhhhhhhh....i dont understand why and where it is coming from...i hear it whenevr i connect the headphones to my amps (not recording) .....and then when i record and playback...i hear it as well...i cannot tell if its recorded with my vocals or not...so in other words..i cannot mix this becos i keep hearing this annoying sound...i disconnected the headphones and connected directly to my cpu's output and i hear the sound is stil there but it seems to be lower...feels more like a background noise....im not sure where this sound is coming from....here are my 2 suspicions

- i feel it might be background noise from my environment...i just record in my room with nothing on the walls

- i feel it might be a problem with my amp....im guessing it has a fan that is causing the sound...so basically my truth b2030p monitors feel useless

pls can you guys give some advise on this based on ur experience...MY ULTIMATE GOAL HERE IS TO HAVE A CLEAN SOUND RECORDING...eliminate any background noises...i don't want those at all....pls i need ur best recommenations on this becos getting my vocals in as clean as possible as well as mixing clean cut vocals is of extreme importance to me...will active monitors be an option here? eliminating the extra middleman amp ? or changing my amp to something more appealing to studio recording?

pls advise...thanks alot

What happens if you connect the headphones to another device? Do you hear the noise with nothing playing out of the amp, and the amp disconnected from the computer?

amp

Try having your dm3 go into your soundcard and your soundcard outs going to your kenwood amp, to your monitors. Use your dm3 out b for your headphone mix.

Back