Hiss problems: M-Audio Nova Condenser Mic & Behringer XENYX 302USB

d3fin3d

I'm trying to record a single track acoustic guitar/vocal performance using the M-Audio Nova Condenser Mic & the Behringer XENYX 302USB mixer connected to a Windows 7 machine. I'm using Adobe Audition and Adobe Premiere to "video-mix".

The issue I'm having is that, when I'm listening to the mixer input, there is a substantial amount of hiss in the background.

This hiss occurs even when the microphone levels are turned all the way down as well as when the microphone is completely unplugged from the mixer.

Alongside the mixer hiss, the M-Audio Nova Condenser Mic (and other high quality microphones I've tried) doesn't seem to be particularly sensitive from a distance unless the input volume in the mixer is turned up very high/full.

Ideally, I'd like to have the microphone sit a couple of feet away in order to capture both acoustic guitar and vocals.

To illustrate the issue, here is one of my YouTube recordings:

Weezer - "Say It Ain't So" (Cover by Elliot Friedman) - YouTube

And this is the sort of reduced hiss levels I'd like to achieve (using the M-Audio Nova Mic and M-Audio Track Pre Amp):

Childish Gambino- Sober - YouTube

I'm aware that, in the latter example, she is recording her instrument on a separate track and fading out the vocals during quiet segments, however she is achieving very clear and almost hiss-free vocals when she's actively singing - and the mic is sitting at distance!

I've tried everything imaginable to reduce this hiss, but whatever I do it's fairly prevalent.

Do you guys have any thoughts? Is the Behringer XENYX 302USB mixer a problem when it comes to this sort of hiss? Is there something obvious I'm missing? Is this sort of hiss reduced using decent noise reduction software? Should I scrap the Behringer XENYX 302USB mixer and opt for a high quality non-USB mixer and soundcard? If so, do you have any mixer & soundcard suggestions?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
A couple of cautionary words. YouTube vids are not always what they appear. Unless you know something I don't, it's possible she's not even singing or playing in the videos...You can go to a pro studio and get the recording done, then lip-sync the video well and combine.
As to the 302, it is a $40 mixer. I've seen a review at GearSluts that was positive and dismissed the hiss because of the price point, and a video review where the hiss was constant and distracting. Hard to tell you the 302 is not the problem, when it sounds likely that it is. Stepping up to even a Scarlett 2i2 or the new solo (only $99), or even the ART USB Dual Pre at $80, might help your hiss problem.
Your M-Audio mike is an LDC and not a poor one (let's face it, it's not a Schoeps or a Neumann, but it's adequate). Make sure the logo faces you, yada yada, I know you know this, but someone will say it and it might as well be me. Make sure the gain staging is correct. Get the placement in as sweet a spot as you can. Standard mike warning.

Hope I'm being of some help. Others will likely chime in too.

A couple of cautionary words. YouTube vids are not always what they appear. Unless you know something I don't, it's possible she's not even singing or playing in the videos...

This was my first thought watching that video. That vocal is way too detailed (breaths, etc) for it to be live, at such a distance from the microphone. Sounds like she was 6-12" from the mic when she sang that.

I know nothing about the Behringer XENYX 302USB so I can't offer any advice with that other than watch your gain, mic placement, etc as Broken_H said above. Personally I would scrap it and get something a bit better with the option to use 2 mics and then close mic both your guitar and vocal for the best possible quality.....

Or, do what the girl has done in her video. Record your guitar, overdub your vocal, get a good quality recording and then lip sync it for the video. <~Best option with your current tools. (IMO)

:thumbs up:

My quick experience with a Xenyx USB mixer - I brought it back to GC for a refund the next day. The mic preamps were noisy (yes, HISS) and the A-D converter had that high pitch whine inherent to cheap 16 bit converters when you turn up the volume.

Thank you for all your swift responses! It seems my mixer is the main problem here then. I suppose I shouldn't have expected much more considering the 320USB's price point.

Upon further investigation, it also appears that many people have experienced substantial hiss when recording through a microphone connected to the 320USB.

I'm going to order the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and see how I get on. I also have an older Audio Technica AT3525 microphone which may still be adequate enough to record with.

My main goal is to aim for a "live" type recording that's raw and minimally produced. Recording each track separately would make noise reduction much less of a problem, but I'd prefer to stick with a single take live performance. That said, if I can't achieve decent results with the "live" setup, multi-tracking is the next option!

Thanks again - I'll report back with my results.

Last edited:
By all means get the 2i2 (not MY first choice but I am chopped liver about them here!)

But...There is nothing wrong with the mic. Assuming it is not faulty (unlikely) it has a noise specc' better than many, not Rode NT arena but more than good enough.

I bet you an XLR lead it ain't the mixer either! I will bet you have not set the gain of the "USB MICROPHONE CODEC" in Windows 7 sound menus properly.

Find the "mic codec" as the recording device and then click "levels". It will be, bet ya, at 100%. Pull it back to 5%, maybe even less. Then try recording at the accepted average level of -18dBFS on the DAW meters and I reckon things will be greatly improved.

Even my A&H zed10 mixer was noisy until those great guys at the factory told me how to set this!

If you all think about it, even a Behringer mixer would have to be absolute ***te to not be good enough with an LDC mic! I have its slightly bigger cousin the X802 and that is not at all bad with an SM57!

Dave.

A quick update:

The Focusrite 2i2 arrived and all I can say is... Wow. I'm speechless. The hiss has disappeared, I can sing from distance with barely any noise at all and the resulting sound is crisp and pretty much perfect.

This little device has been a revelation.

It looks as if the Behringer 302USB deals with direct line-in instruments adequately, however it does not handle phantom powered microphones well at all. Investigation suggestions it does not have adequate enough voltage to power condenser microphones, resulted in that dreaded noise.

I bet you an XLR lead it ain't the mixer either! I will bet you have not set the gain of the "USB MICROPHONE CODEC" in Windows 7 sound menus properly.

Find the "mic codec" as the recording device and then click "levels". It will be, bet ya, at 100%. Pull it back to 5%, maybe even less. Then try recording at the accepted average level of -18dBFS on the DAW meters and I reckon things will be greatly improved.

Sadly this didn't help at all, it just made both microphone and hiss equally quiet :(.

ecc83, I'll take that XLR lead now!

Thanks again for all your help and suggestions.

"ecc83, I'll take that XLR lead now!"
Gaaaagrh!! I knew that about the smallest Bellringer mixers! Bobbsy told me months ago!
You are right the spook juice is a useless 12volts or something.
Well I shall not welch...PM me a UK address and I shall send you a £10 Maplin gift voucher.

Dave.

Hiss no more XENYX 302USB

Hi!

Better late than never, maybe it will be useful for others..

I had the same problem and could'nt understand cause I use two machines, one with XP-32bits and one with win7-64bits.
With the XP machine, no problem at all, and with the 7 I got this permanent hiss whether from the mic input, the line input or the 2-track.. even with nothing plugged in and the knobs down.. I spent some time running every kind of tests and the answer was in the driver!
I had to do a little bit of search till I found this:
http://behringer-usb-audio-2-8-40.drivers.informer.com/
Yep because the one on MG's website is only a link to ASIO4all, which doesn't correct the problem.
I installed it and the hiss problem's gone!

I know the xenyx 302 is quite a cheap stuff in lots of ways, but for the price and in a certain range of expectations it does the job..

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hi!

Better late than never, maybe it will be useful for others..

I had the same problem and could'nt understand cause I use two machines, one with XP-32bits and one with win7-64bits.
With the XP machine, no problem at all, and with the 7 I got this permanent hiss whether from the mic input, the line input or the 2-track.. even with nothing plugged in and the knobs down.. I spent some time running every kind of tests and the answer was in the driver!
I had to do a little bit of search till I found this:
http://behringer-usb-audio-2-8-40.drivers.informer.com/
Yep because the one on MG's website is only a link to ASIO4all, which doesn't correct the problem.
I installed it and the hiss problem's gone!

I know the xenyx 302 is quite a cheap stuff in lots of ways, but for the price and in a certain range of expectations it does the job..

Cheers!

ALmost-2-year-old thread you necro-revived. ANd the problem was not the drivers, it was lack of adequate phantom power. Welcome to HR.

Back