"Hiss" noise on vocal recording

He is trying to learn, he just obviously has some serious misinformation.

He wasn't going to learn anything here. He was not interested in gaining knowledge. I mean, he was arguing about hiss! :laughings:

I think he should be un-banned and made a moderator because he was seriously entertaining.

:laughings:

usually arise from the hiss sound volume setting is opened too large, it could be from the cable jack, but generally hiss sound coming from the condenser mic volume is too large to be opened to catch the sound signals around the room that eventually sounded the resultant tape hiss ... down again volume when recording, if they try to replace it with another software like cool edit or nuendo ... it to hiss sound, but if it sounds like a buzzing sound (hum) just plug / plug ground wire to ground and connect it to the computer body ... Simply googling (Toms homerecord) on youtube or my blog ..

Well, I haven't had a chance to get to this site much recently, and that was a thoroughly entertaining thread.

I note that the OP says he went to law school, but he doesn't mention whether he was able to pass the bar. A lot of law students feel rather bullet-proof if they make it past their third year -- I sensed a little of that. The problem is that he might know all about injunctions and writs, but they don't teach a damned thing about audio in law school (an egregious oversight). And one learns a lot more with mouth shut. . .

I went to law school and passed the bar -- haven't been able to pass one since (nerk nerk) :drunk:

A belated Happy Thanksgiving to the denizens of the forum -- and all you other guys, too. . .

I have a question about a variation of what was discussed here...and maybe it'll be useful to someone else.

Regarding USB devices with external A/D conversion...if a PC sound card is the audio recording interface, I do prefer to have some kind of device that 'handles' the audio external to the PC...because how well a sound card performs depends on too many factors we can't predict.

One problem is (and this is just another detailed observation on the statement that cheap poor quality components inside low cost gear are a factor in hiss generation.

Working with high impedance pickups like piezos, I find that some preamps are noisy with high impedances...it's related to how they are designed...with guitar effects built around JFET's or certain op amps, there is a power/bias design technique people call 'noiseless biasing'...what decisions are made in designing the input stage are likely based on what impedance they intend to interface with (and certainly how much money, skill, etc, they're willing to build in). It might be that a low-end product is intentionally not optimized...if a company makes better gear, it would be foolish to strive to achieve the same performance level on the low-end gear.

My question:

Is it a valid test to unplug the USB mic, and see how much 'hiss' there is (basically the noise floor or background noise level of the PC's line level amplification), and plug the USB mic back in and see if it's worse? What to do next is a good question...If it's offensively noisy, the add'l gain the condenser mic requires and receives from it's integral electronics, will be made worse by the PC audio chain. If it's 'qualitatively acceptable' with no USB mic plugged in, and not so with the mic, this would confirm what has already been pointed out...the performance of the USB mic in question leaves something to be desired...

One option would be to see if you can enlist someone local to help...someone with a higher quality USB mic and see if the problem is resolved, or if the PC is still the 'weak link'.

I don't know if it matters with a USB device, but I've read that disabling or reducing the input levels
of unused audio inputs on the sounds card may be helpful (like reducing the sound card mic input level to 0, since you are not using that input for the USB mic.

I had used Samson C01 condenser mic once and I had the same hiss problem. I changed to Audio Technica AT2035 then it was quite solved. And also it seems like your gain is too high. Try to adjust the gain so that correct amount of vocal signal goes into the system. Try increasing the gain until the clipping red signal glows. When red glows, reduce the gain and make sure you have almost green signal.
Good luck

Back