hiss and compressor ...confused

lbcstudios

ok... try to see if u can explain these things in retard language.. which is wat i like... lol... i just a RNC.. and i maxed it to 25:1... then had it 1:1 .... i couldnt really tell the difference.. how does it work? does it only lessen the signal that clips? so does that mean i max the faders and it all works like it should.... this theory of mine seems wrong... and when i raise the levels on my mixer... the sound is still very soft on the comp... but if i turn it up too high on mixer... i get a hiss... ahhhh.. its a behringer... lol.. www.lbcstudios.shorturl.com < quick list of equip... every one that has head my recording say it needs compression.. i hope i figure this gadget out.. and YES i read the manual... i understand the setting i think.. but why dont i notice..?

If....your.....signal.....doesn't......cross......the......threshold, the....compressor.....won't......kick.....in......and...you....won't....hear.....any....difference.....

(whew, that formatting is as tiring to write as it is to read ;o) )

Okay, but I'll do it like I'm talking to a small child. The other thing's kinda tasteless, plus randy beat me to it:

Honey. . .hon!

Turn this knob (putting lbc's hand on the thresh knob) this way (now turning it for him). You see the pretty lights now? Cool, huh!

(Okay, lbc just slapped my hand off the knob, and is now turning it wildly left and right. I'm so proud. Wait, he got the gain reduction all the way to 20! Once he learns the makeup gain, he's got a great future in mastering. . .

MP

randyfromde said:
If....your.....signal.....doesn't......cross......the......threshold, the....compressor.....won't......kick.....in......and...you....won't....hear.....any....difference.....

(whew, that formatting is as tiring to write as it is to read ;o) )

Basically what he said!

In order for the comp to affect signal, that signal must reach or cross thresh level for the RNC to perform processing on signal's dynamics. In addition, you need to trace your signal path to determine what is producing the *hiss* (which I and many others
here will tell you that the RNC is one of the cleanest and most transparent processors in it's category).
Using compression,peak-leveling, gating, eq'ing, etc is basically dependent upon what your ears determine what is specifically needed during tracking or on mixdown. For ex, is your bass track too overwhelming or bottom-heavy? Besides a low-freq'y cut here or there via eq, maybe a lo-thresh with a quick-attack ratio is needed. Lead git peaks during certain phrases? Level & contain the perf by peal-limiting.
Use your processor to maintain an equal level amongst your tracks to achieve sonic balance. Shoot, I'm STILL learning this process but have discovered that experimentation along with trusting my ears has given me a some satisfaction!

As far as the *hiss* is concerned, U need to divorce yourself from that Behringer mixer!;)

Just my .00000000000000000000001 cent opinion.;) :p ;)

genius

ur a genius.. so lets see... the ratio lets me set the level of compression... and hte threshold.. is how much dry signal and wet( compression) i want in ?????

No, the threshold is the level where the compression starts, and it along with the ratio (ratio is the amount) determine your gain reduction (the lights at the top left that tell you how much compression you're getting). You don't usually split the signal to dry/wet, unless as an effect (followed by heavy eqing, etc.), so process it as an insert for best results (that is, for compressing the full signal).

MP

lbc you need to get googling and read some articles, with diagrams, on compression - then you'll have a better knowledge base from which to launch questions - not knowing what the threshhold is is like buying a car and not knowing what the clutch does - do a bit of reading - and while you may not know how to use the clutch, you'll at least understand that you use it to change gears by stepping on it... - that makes learning to use it a hell of a lot easier

None of this is rocket science but it's a lot easier if you get a base level understanding before you start playing with your knobs...

Back