hiss

martinepiphone

i have a powered pa mixer from carvin, and naturally when we turn it on you can hear the hiss coming from the amps i suppose...but when i connect the same mixer to my soundcard and record tracks, i hear the same "hiss" sound, is it possible that just its because it is the soundblaster card and it is cheap, or is it picking up the amp noise hissing from the mixer. could this be eliminated by adjusting the high end, or is there a way i can eliminate the hiss by a newer sound card...i just want to get rid of it, does anyone have any suggestions?
thanks!

I don't think recording is what powered mixers were designed for. I could be wrong, but maybe you'd be better off looking at buying another unpowered mixer to use when recording: rather than trying to get around the problem with yet another Plug-In or a new soundcard (or whatever).

Of course, it might be the Soundblaster. Try and borrow or hire a desk and see if the same problem still occurs.

Other possibilities: you're running signal through long unbalanced cables...

Erm...

Are you recording with microphones? They could be picking up the hiss from the amp, especially if you're using a condenser mic.

i am using microphones, so you are saying it is probably getting the amp noise? and also im recording now with a dynamic mic, because it is all that i have, but my studio projects is supposed to be here today, is that going to help? is there any way i can limit this hiss sound, or am i just stuck with it totally untill i get a different mixer? (hopefully not)

Back