Help with track sequence in Cubase 9

ozrock

Hi,

I have been given a bunch of songs recorded in a recent Cubase version and I have imported them into my Cubase 9.

They have about 12 tracks each altho' all over the place. One song will have the drums on tracks 1 to 4 and another will have them 6 to 10 etc.

Once I have added some instruments to these songs I am to give them back ready for them to be imported in someone's Protools.

Being a bit of a novice at this, I would like to know should I move all the tracks so they are the same in every song (project) eg. All drums 1 to 4 or whatever.

Also when I export them, what is the best way to do this so they are easier for a guy to load into Protools

Thanks

oz

Hi,

I have been given a bunch of songs recorded in a recent Cubase version and I have imported them into my Cubase 9.

They have about 12 tracks each altho' all over the place. One song will have the drums on tracks 1 to 4 and another will have them 6 to 10 etc.

Once I have added some instruments to these songs I am to give them back ready for them to be imported in someone's Protools.

Being a bit of a novice at this, I would like to know should I move all the tracks so they are the same in every song (project) eg. All drums 1 to 4 or whatever.

Also when I export them, what is the best way to do this so they are easier for a guy to load into Protools

Thanks

oz

If I understand you correctly, you need to export each track as a wav file with all of them starting from the same point.

In other words, you cannot just export the project alone and expect Protools to know where the tracks start.

First off, what version of Cubase 9 do you have? Versions that are not the full version do not have 'batch export', so that would make you spend much more time doing it track by track. Been there...

So please answer the question as to what version of Cubase you have and let's go from there.

Sorry about the grumpy old guy earlier. Nobody has figured him out yet...

I think he meant important? To be honest, when I open all my old material that goes back years and years, much of it uses instruments long retired, and has tracks all over the place, so moving things to your own current preference is an everyday task. Looking back, my own creations are never ever laid out the same, and while clearly I may have started about 2009 to have started to group stuff for easier fader fiddling, very often the order is the order they were recorded!

If you are giving the protools person .wav stems - then Murphy's Law says they will import in alphabetical or numerical order anyway, so personally the ONLY thing I'd do is make sure every track is full length, with the same start point, and clearly labelled as to what it is. snrb - confused me in one of mine - listening showed it to be snare, and presumably the b meant bottom because it was a bit rattly. Getting files from other people is always a pain. It gets less when labelled properly.

Pretty sure you've got your answer already but just to +1 it

Rename your tracks to something fairly obvious, and bounce all your tracks individually (wav) from 00:00:00 start to a good few bars clear of the end:Be careful not to snip fades/ringing out end notes.
Don't worry about the fact that some track may be made up of edits or small chunks. Just make sure all of those edits are neatly faded in cubase and bounce a track as a track.

The Protools guy will just dump them all at 0 on his time line and then put them in an order he likes.

If you want the guy to have a totally raw session to work on, just disable all of your effects.
If the effects are important and you want to pass those on (committed), you'll need to consider any bus processing you might have.

That can get tricky; If you have 6 parts of a kit going through bus compression or something, bouncing each part separately through that compression isn't going to be the same thing, as the compressor reacts differently to the sum.
Personally, I'd just leave off any bus processing and make/keep your cubase mix as simple as possible with transfer to PT in mind.

Each time you bounce a track, give it a quick check - It's very easy to have some track solo-safe and not realise.
Personally, I set up a brand new session and import my exports, as if I'm the recipient, then solo each one to make sure it is what it's meant to be.

Bit depth and sample rate isn't a great concern as Protools will work with whatever it is given however, if your guy has a preferred setup you may as well ask and bounce at that, I suppose.

Fricker does a great job explaining a good method for export and I could not agree more, just ignore his silly over the top presentation. lol

Although honestly I wouldn't be to enraged not getting dry tracks as long as the guitar tone was good. Dry tracks are really good for editing though and heaven forbid if the guitars suck you can reamp them.

To export a tempo map that is universal setup a midi track (doesn't need to be routed to anything) and draw in a click track on either D1 or C#1 on counts 1,2,3, and 4. Then copy and paste that through the entire song. Once done export that midi track and it will take the tempo data with it.

Back