Help with setup

Mjsto466

So i just bought an audio inter face i can only record my guitar through the mic. How do i plug my amped guitar into the interface. I plugged my guitar to amp and i tried plugging in another 1/4 cable from my head phones out on the amp to my interface and i got nothing. So how do i do that instead of using a mic. Do i need a direct box and a preamp. Or is my amp not cable of doing that?

does your amp have a line out?
if YES, then a cable from the amp to your interface should work.
if NO you'll have to get more creative.

..er..if you have a Line In on the interface...also your interface might have software and you need to select the source which is often MicIn or LineIn or Instruument In...

?
whats the amp and model?
whats the interface?
whats the DAW?

Guitars normally only have three ways of working.
1. a mic - you don't want this, so that's out (although it often sounds the nicest!)
2. a DI, in line with the guitar to amp - great but anything your amp adds - tone, or processing is missing.
3. line out, as mentioned above, from the amp.

There is a 4th - which involves going from the loudspeaker, with a slightly different DI box - which gives you a similar result to the mic technique, but without the room sound.

Sniffing with a DI is usually not that useful, unless you use an external processor, and just use the amp for volume rather than treatment?

I suspect most people just use a mic - That's my usual process.

The speaker level DI is something like this.
Hughes & Kettner Red Box 5 Cab Emulated DI Box

we forgot the most common one! a guitar plug-in amp sim.....

probably just dump the amp and plug the guitar into the interface and pull up some Amp sims.

Well i have a line 6 spider 3 and no there is not a line out. Theres a headphones out/pod. And my interface is focusrite scarlett 3 and it came with some software but garage band seems a little more user friendly (easier) to use. And also when i use my mic since i dont have monitor speakers yet im using just the computer to hear my playback and it weird cause it will not let me plug my regular computer speakers for playback through the phones out on computer. So i guess i will have to save and get speakers and select scarlett as out put and plug them in.

And so what did u mean dont even use my amp and just plug into my AI and use effects on software to get distortion ect...

The headphone output of the Line 6 amp is stereo, if you use a standard guitar cable (TS_TS), then you will only get one channel of the amp's output, but the AI should still pick that up and you should be able to select that input on your DAW.

And so what did u mean dont even use my amp and just plug into my AI and use effects on software to get distortion ect...

The majority of guys here either 1) mic their amps or 2) use amp sims. Amp sims are virtual amps and cabs that mimic the real deal. For this option, you just plug your guitar into the interface, download install some amps and cabs, and you're done.

The headphone op on the Line 6 is also dubbed a "Line Output" and as such I would expect it to actually be mono, i.e. same signal to ring and tip.
Feeding that to the XLR line input of the Scarlet could give odd (or no!) results and you need a 3.5mm jack (mono or stereo) to 1/4" mono jack and go into the GUITAR, Hi Impedance input of the AI. Such a cable might be hard to find but a 3.5-3.5mm stereo cable and a 3.5mm to 1/4" jack adaptor will be fairly easy to source on 'Zon.

Or, get a passive DI box. That will get the guitar into the MIC XLR input but you will also have a split out 1/4" jack to feed the line 6. Really zero latency!

The fact is, once peeps move away from "Off the Shelf" equipment and start to experiment with hooking up odd bits of gear they really need to get some basic electronics smarts.

Dave.

The headphone op on the Line 6 is also dubbed a "Line Output" and as such I would expect it to actually be mono,

Dave.

Nope, it's mfr marketing - it's a stereo headphone output (except for the Line 6 15 model, which was a $99 throwaway. Dave - I have a Line 6 amp, and used it to record with the 'DI/headphone' output many times - by splitting the signal to left/right to 2 inputs.

the L6 Spider3 manual states .

"Listen in stereo with headphones, or use this as a direct out
for recording! (If you need a stereo out, use a 1/4” TRS stereo-to-dual mono Y-adaptor cable)."

Nope, it's mfr marketing - it's a stereo headphone output (except for the Line 6 15 model, which was a $99 throwaway. Dave - I have a Line 6 amp, and used it to record with the 'DI/headphone' output many times - by splitting the signal to left/right to 2 inputs.

Can't argue coz I don't have one but! Is that "stereo" when using chorus or delay? The amp/guitar system is only one channel of course.
Yes, best way is to split the signal, "L&R" but OP's AI does not have two 'proper' line inputs.

Whatever, almost ANY kind of connection should work.

Dave.

What I don't get is why people don't try things - let's be honest here - that line 6 has a ¼" output - and plugging this into the interface should work fully home, and if you were unlucky enough to find it didn't, the half pulling out the plug would!

When I was a teenager, I'd happily sacrifice a couple of cables, and twist the wires together to make odd items talk to each other. When I knew little, I knew one would hum when touched, so connecting sources to this usually made some kind off noise - and trial and error rarely failed. Then you twisted the wires tighter, wrapped it in tape and used it for years sometimes. Later when I could solder properly, many of these working bodges got fixed - but I found one the other day, still wrapped in the tape, and it still worked!!

In so many topics, you get people asking before ordering cables, and they order just one - when a few cheap cables with all kinds of ends get you out of trouble fast!

What I don't get is why people don't try things - let's be honest here - that line 6 has a ¼" output - and plugging this into the interface should work fully home, and if you were unlucky enough to find it didn't, the half pulling out the plug would!

When I was a teenager, I'd happily sacrifice a couple of cables, and twist the wires together to make odd items talk to each other. When I knew little, I knew one would hum when touched, so connecting sources to this usually made some kind off noise - and trial and error rarely failed. Then you twisted the wires tighter, wrapped it in tape and used it for years sometimes. Later when I could solder properly, many of these working bodges got fixed - but I found one the other day, still wrapped in the tape, and it still worked!!

In so many topics, you get people asking before ordering cables, and they order just one - when a few cheap cables with all kinds of ends get you out of trouble fast!

TOTALLY agree Rob! People today are shit scared to experiment. Two reasons come to mind (there are more) The 'MEEJA' always portrays any electrical failure as a World's Ending Event. Showers of spark and crashes and bangs. "We" know that in truth even a fairly serious electrical overload is a complete anti-climax, maybe a faint pop, maybe a clunk from the circuit breaker.

The second is the Nanny State that bans any and everything fun but a bit dangerous! Add to this that we are following America and becoming more and more a "Lawyer's Paradise". Ambulance chasers?

Then, people leave school have never absorbed even the most BASIC of electrical concepts. Many come here thinking Phantom Power is the work of Old Nick hisself and if unleashed improperly will melt mics, mixer and all will drop thru the floor. In truth of course PP is really feeble, you can't even FEEL it.

But, 'Oil be beck' about this I have about a mile of odd cables I shall never use but cannot bring myself to chuck. Might have a 'boot giveaway down the pub in the summer!

Dave.

They don't experiment because they can't find youtubes showing them how to do it! (that's the way everyone "learns" these days)
Dave - yes, the 'stereo' works for delay, chorus and reverb on the Line 6 amps. Their 2 speaker models have left/right connections, too.

TOTALLY agree Rob! People today are shit scared to experiment. Two reasons come to mind (there are more) The 'MEEJA' always portrays any electrical failure as a World's Ending Event. Showers of spark and crashes and bangs. "We" know that in truth even a fairly serious electrical overload is a complete anti-climax, maybe a faint pop, maybe a clunk from the circuit breaker.

Dave.
The persistent fear that plugging the cable into the gear incorrectly will result in one of the scenarios in the video below. Sometimes the breakers don't 'clunk' when they're supposed to. I've seen a few of these up close in my working career. May even partially been the cause for one :).

The persistent fear that plugging the cable into the gear incorrectly will result in one of the scenarios in the video below. Sometimes the breakers don't 'clunk' when they're supposed to. I've seen a few of these up close in my working career. May even partially been the cause for one :).

Mods, there is something wrong twixt HR, me and TY posts on here. The video Mark has put up is once again just a black rectangle. R/clicking>Properties says "URL not available" .

Just noticed the URL has popped up in the quote. Will give that a do and report back. Becoming a PITA!

Dvae

Oh! That's fucking terrifying! Did that guy by that cabinet door survive I wonder?

The clips are all (?) 60Hz supplies but it is interesting that we only see 120Hz and harmonics. I can only surmised that ionized air is rectifying?

In all my 72 years I do not recall seeing anything like those pictures about UK power systems. We have inherited a nationalized electrical industry of course and our domestic regulations are ultra conservative. I can only conclude that this "uber-overengineering" is repeated all the way up the supply chain? I sincerely hope such a situation LONG continues!

Dave.

Attachments

• Spectrum lektrik.png
    Spectrum lektrik.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 8
Mods, there is something wrong twixt HR, me and TY posts on here. The video Mark has put up is once again just a black rectangle. R/clicking>Properties says "URL not available" .

Just noticed the URL has popped up in the quote. Will give that a do and report back. Becoming a PITA!

Dvae

What browser are you using? Had a Win update recently?

Back