*Help* questions conerning Logic

juzplanecrazie

Hi everyone,
I'm currently using a variant of Logic (Logic RPC) that comes with the Roland VM-3100 Pro. Anyways, i've noticed that in mixing down the tracks, each track remains in the safe zone (no clipping/no red), but the master out is in the red like crazy. However, its unlike digital distortion as there are no ticks or pops, just some fuzzy distortion. I was wondering if the individual audio tracks are compounding on each other to distort out the master. This problem puzzles me since if all the individual tracks are ok, shouldn't the master out be ok too? Perhaps i just don't understand digital audio that well, please help,
Jeff

juzplanecrazie said:
I was wondering if the individual audio tracks are compounding on each other to distort out the master.

In a word, yes. Digital signals (like analog signals) combine with each other to produce a fatter, larger signal. This fatter and larger signal is almost certainly what's causing the distortion.

One quick thought - the monitors AND the tracks are not active at the same time, are they? If so, adjust your 3100 settings so you're not hearing the monitors anymore. Another possible solution.

And welcome to the board!

Is it possible for you to mix on different software? I track through the same setup, but mix in Cool Edit. I've had the same problem with Logic RPC....I just gave up on trying to figure it out and fix it, and stick to recording on Logic and mixing elsewhere.....

Also, I didn't bother looking closely into this, but when you mix down, I don't believe it mixes into a wave. Last time I tried, it mixed into some weird Logic file that could be listened to in logic, but I didn't find a method to burn it to a CD as audio....but like I said, I didn't give it much effort. Who knows, if you have any suggestions, I may give Logic another shot....

thanks

first off, thanks ssscientist and bucchild for your replies.

bucchild, i had that same problem too, the weird logic format. what i usually do is utilize the onboard effects of the 3100 and record a new stereo track in logic as a wav file. that seems to work ok for me. but yeah, the logic program is kind of a pain in the butt for mix down.

well, thanks again

Back