Help needed on Recording Vocals

Cazzbar

Throbbing Member
Hi you guys, my name's Mike.

I've been happily using Cubase3 with my Yamaha tone generator (MU80) for some time, but I now want to start recording vocals over the top with my Shure BETA 58A Mic. The MU80 has got a Mic input with various studio effects so you can sing along with your midi files and record the output, with surprisingly good results, but there must be a better way of recording vocals than this!!

Should I look at acoustic recording software?? Can I merge vocals with midi files in Cubase? Do I need a four track recorder?? Do I need a 'pre-amp' for my Mic???

I really haven't got a clue, any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.

Mike is a good name for a budding home recordist... :)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Should I look at acoustic recording software??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What the heck is that? Don't tell me some lowlife is marketing "special" software for acoustic recording?!?! As if there's a difference...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Can I merge vocals with midi files in Cubase?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have it and you don't know? RTFM and save yourself some grief. The short answer, though, is "yes".

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Do I need a four track recorder??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you have Cubase, you have a digital multitrack recording system already. What the ding-dong (TM) would you want to buy a cassette recorder for? Be careful, mon, you sound like a prime candidate for walking into a music store and walking out with a lot of useless equipment and a lot less money...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Do I need a 'pre-amp' for my Mic???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you might want to do some reading, Mike. Luckily, you won't lose any points for not having read the page at https://homerecording.com/sound_card_basics.html since I just wrote it last night :)

Thanks Dragon, I would have expected a lot of hot air from you but you seem to know what you're talking about... :-)

I'll probably have more questions after I've read the Cubase manual...!

Cheers.

Back