Help with mic'ing/recording acoustic guitar

I was just over in the 'let me see your studio' thread and I now know where all the lava lamps ever made wound up :laughings:

You guys have gotten me to convert from thin picks to hard picks. Gotta give yourselves credit.. no one has been able to do that for me in the past. I have also been practicing a different technique with open chords..

I used to be lazy and strum all 6 strings on all open chords. Now, I'm muting or not playing some open strings which greatly reduces a lot of extra resonances that may muddy the sound. One example: with an open C-Chord, I would strum the open E strings (both) - now I'm muting the low E and it sounds fuller, louder, and much cleaner. Same with an Am. I should have been playing this way all along, but..

I believe this cleaner technique will combine well with my future acoustical treatments to produce a better sound than my previous takes. Well, that and.. you know... a vintage lava lamp. I've had several original lamps while growing up in the 60s - all were orange. One was shaken so bad before we got it, it was in about 100 little globs that never would recombine in the 12 years we had it - left it on nearly 24/7 all that time, too.

Y One example: with an open C-Chord, I would strum the open E strings (both) - now I'm muting the low E and it sounds fuller, louder, and much cleaner. Same with an Am. I should have been playing this way all along, but..
One of my pet peeves with lazy guitar players - specially that C major chord, because it sounds like shit with the low E when strummed. The Aminor is not so bad, but no question that when strummed it can make a muddy sound.
You can get lava lamps at Spencer Gifts (almost every large shopping mall has one.)

All my recording sucked before lava lamps and abundant Christmas tree lights(50 cents a box at the drug store after Christmas)

I'm getting the hang of this proper open-chord strumming. I still get a slight buzz now and then on the A-minor's high E string as my thumb is curled over the low E for muting and I accidentally touch the high E with another finger or the inside of my palm, depending on how I finger it. If the neck was one micron wider or deeper I don't think I could do this.

Practice. Practice. Practice.

I'll definitely need to replace these relatively new strings in another week. Before I record, certainly.

The chords now sound a lot cleaner, and soon I'll have my Roxul panels finished and then.. then.. then I can get right on that $100,000,000 song. I can't wait.

Last edited:
Back