Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Thread: Help with mic'ing/recording acoustic guitar

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    I didn't get a chance today, but tomorrow I expect to have another go at Experiment # 6 :

Strumming acoustic guitar with a hard pick; sitting on area rug with legs crossed under; mic on floor about 24-inches in front and facing me - pointed generally at 12th fret

Previously, in Experiment # 5, I was sitting on a stool about 18-inches high with the mic on a table about 21-inches high. There was a painted block wall in front, about 30-inches behind the mic; the area rug beneath; and the rest of the room is painted block wall and uncovered vinyl flooring. I'll hang a heavy hospital blanket about 20-inches behind the mic - between it and the block wall.

Just the set-up for recording..
    ...as i get older, my equipment gets smaller
    ..if the brain was an app, would people use it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spantini View Post
    I didn't get a chance today, but tomorrow I expect to have another go at Experiment # 6 :

Strumming acoustic guitar with a hard pick; sitting on area rug with legs crossed under; mic on floor about 24-inches in front and facing me - pointed generally at 12th fret

Previously, in Experiment # 5, I was sitting on a stool about 18-inches high with the mic on a table about 21-inches high. There was a painted block wall in front, about 30-inches behind the mic; the area rug beneath; and the rest of the room is painted block wall and uncovered vinyl flooring. I'll hang a heavy hospital blanket about 20-inches behind the mic - between it and the block wall.

Just the set-up for recording..
    I think that's too far away, and being on the floor it's going to have a very close early reflection off the floor itself hitting it a millisecond (or so) after the initial sound wave. The mic sound be even with your guitar neck, angled slightly towards the soundhole, but pointed at the the 12th fret. Try 6-12" away. And record more than 15 seconds, play for a minute or two, then move something, and try that position for a minute.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjbphotos View Post
    ...being on the floor it's going to have a very close early reflection off the floor itself hitting it a millisecond (or so) after the initial sound wave.
    Naw, man. The rule of thumb is about 1ms per foot, and if the mic is resting on the ground, it's more like an inch, so like less than a tenth of your estimate. That is short enough that any interference will only bother the bats.

It's pretty common advice when recording drums under a low ceiling where reflections might cause phase problems to put the overheads as close as possible to the ceiling because, again, that puts the lowest notch in the comb filter up out of normal hearing range. It's likewise pretty common to put a mic on the floor out front of a drum kit. In fact, it's a pretty common - if somewhat unorthodox - technique in a lot of situations. Heck, I might even try to point the mic AT the floor. Especially with something like a 57, where this could put the diaphragm even closer to the floor and almost make it into a boundary mic.

You can do these things with other surfaces like walls too. If you can't get far enough away, then get as close as possible.

Edit - More importantly, though, spantini is actually doing this. Like actually just going in there and trying things and learning from empirical evidence and I think we'd ought to encourage it. Maybe it'll just suck. Maybe it'll be the best thing ever. Most likely it'll be something to keep in mind in certain situations, but they're building experience in any case. Too many people will post a question on a forum and then wait a week for the flame war to die down and maybe they'll get a bit better handle on the theory, but they won't actually know anything in the practical sense.

Thanks
    Agree about actally trying things. There's no substitute for experience.

Thread Information