help me record drums

Monkubus325

I have 3 mics: a beta 58 vocal mic shure, a shure pg 57, and a shure sm 57, and 2 other crappy acoustic mics that I won't even bother with.

With these things I need to record my drummer. It's for a rock/alternative demo. Where should I position the mics in your opinion? Please Help me!

Monkubus

well, i would look at doing OH, kick, and snare.

i could see advantages of any combination- but i would start with the beta inside the kick drum in a bassy spot, the 57 six feet up 6 feet out, and the pg close up on snare.

you will want to eq the 57 a bit...

eel has the right idea.
just position your over head away from whatever cymbol your drummer crashes the most, so it wont peak. Also, your snare mic will help in adding to the over head sound, and the bass will practically be isolated, so you'll have easy control on its levels when your mixing. You should think about getting a nice condenser mic like an Oktava MK 319. I picked it up at Guitar center for 99 bucks, it its real good for picking up th eover all sound of the drums. Real good budget mic.

you can always get a condenser that works well in the bass drum, like a cad e100 (i think they are down to about $99 used on ebay).

also, you could get a SP B1

Monkubus325 said:
Thanks, I'll try out each of your suggestions. Would it be a better investment to buy some condenser mics or a kick drum mic?

Monkubus

www.skyfallmusic.com
If nothing else pick up some SDCs like the Oktava mc012s. A good three mic technique for drums is two overheads and a kick drum. Snare can be picked up enough from the OHs to be useable.

Back