Help me decide SDCs for acoustic guitar

jonny999

Hi, first of all, i highly appreciate your support in my last thread about studio building, now i am struggling to decide the best small condenser to buy for recording acoustic guitar.

Just in case, I have ordered Focusrite 18i8 audio interface which has 4 microphone inputs with 48v phantom power.
So, please help me decide the best possible and budget sdc to get.

After looking some, i found this:

Samson c02 pair: 7k INR ~$100, but apparently i found very less demo videos on youtube for these.
Monoprice 600700 pair: 11k INR ~$180 -Do-

my max budget is $250, under $200 would be great. Thanks a lot!

Also, should i get expensive single or cheap pair mics, please throw some light on this as well.

Don't have them but RØDE NT5 is in that price range. I do have a pair of MXL-603 (also in your price point) but I had them modified (made them much better).

I use an AKG Perception 220 LDC for recording acoustic guitar. Compared recordings to those using 2 cheap CAD SDCs, 2 SM57 clones, and the AKG with one SM57 clone. Differences in recorded sound were extremely minimal. Recording in a small, but well-treated room, usually facing a bunch of bass traps to avoid any reflections coming back to the mics.

sE1A. Definitely my favourite SDC for acoustic (and I prefer SDC to LDC) until you get up to the expensive rarified atmosphere of things like AKG451s and such. Indeed, I'll often use my 1As instead of walking to the other room to get the expensive ones.

Back