Formerly "Dog-In-Door"
They have:

1.) Oud
2.) Viola
3.) Kanun
4.) Assorted percussions: Darabuka, Riq, Bendir/Frame drum
5.) Double Bass
6.) Vocalist (= Oud player)

The percussionist tells me that he has always used an SM57 on his percussion instruments. I can roll with that.
The vocalist I'm thinking I might give an RE20, since it has rather strong rejection and the band will be doing a live recording. They said they might overdub the bass and viola instead of doing them live if the room isn't quite the size they hoped for. That will be decided on the day.

I've got 5 different 414s, SM57s, a 58, a Neuman 87, two 421s, multiple D112s, an E609, a beta 57 and a few other assorted microphones of all sorts to work with.

The room is about fifteen square meters and treated with a bunch of different gobos and baffles to work with.

Any advice or input would be appreciated.

Never having done exactly that, I will throw out some semi-educated guesses and see how close I can get.

The oud can be treated like a guitar. SDC pointed at the neck, try a few positions and see what sounds good.
Viola needs something throaty, but in a group setting where you want close miking, or good rejection it could be difficult, especially if the double bass is in the same room...miking is dependent on the player's style. Some have good bow technique, others, not so good. This may be your biggest challenge. C414 pointed just above the bridge, like you'd do a concert viola maybe?
Kanun is like a harpsichord, yes? Definitely 414 or the Neuman U87 if you want it to stand out.
If the percussionist likes 57s, 57s it is.
Double Bass could also benefit from the U87 pointed just above the bridge.
Vocalist might need the Neuman or the beta 57, but would be nice to record separately after the instruments.

Please don't take anything on here as Bible, as I'm basically doing this as a side bet with myself. Others, feel free to point out flaws and give reasons, please. I learn from my mistakes :D

The problem I've had 87s in live recordings is that they pick up a lot bleed. I tried to a guitar and vocal with a c414 and an 87 and the 87 just turned into a 2nd guitar mic. The RE20 in the same position did the job properly.

They're pretty adamant on only overdubbing the bass and the viola, interestingly enough.

Thank you for the input.

I would arrange the band as if they were playing for a concert, and mike them up accordingly.

Bleed? Probably, but it ought not to matter too much.

Well they showed up with two extra people today and decided to do it all live!
We used about sixteen microphones in total.
Pretty cool.

No expert at micing, but I'd love to hear the result!
I love the Silk Road Ensemble. They play some Arabic sounding pieces.
Looking forward to hearing it.

No expert at micing, but I'd love to hear the result!
I love the Silk Road Ensemble. They play some Arabic sounding pieces.
Looking forward to hearing it.

There's an old version of one song in the MP3 clinic somewhere.
I'll post them both in the Marketing thing down the road when the band decides to release them.
Very interesting experience.
I'm still hoping that one of the guys can come down and overdub a part.

Try using as the Shure 57s and 58s (or other dynamic microphones)
on the instruments, close up, while using the U87 to pick up the whole group as one, set above or in the middle of a circle or somewhere where you can get a good natural mix of all the instruments together.

Try using as the Shure 57s and 58s (or other dynamic microphones)
on the instruments, close up, while using the U87 to pick up the whole group as one, set above or in the middle of a circle or somewhere where you can get a good natural mix of all the instruments together.

Session already happened two weeks ago :D

Last edited:
A curse of the fleas of a thousand camels on you for such a joke.
Oi, ya muzzah vould be so ashamed!
Stop kicking the Slushee machine...

SM57 and 421 on the percussion
Two Sigmas on the kanun
Two c414s on the oud
One 414 on the fiddle
RE20 for the lead vocal
Beta 57s for the backing vocals
Gemini in the chamber
Two c414s as overheads
DI double bass + TLM 183

The Kanun player is coming in for an overdub since the Sigmas sounded like rabbit dung.

Back