Help with Large Diaphram COndenser Mic in garageband

tmidd12

I need help with recording with my large diaphragm mic in garage band. I have an MXL 90 small condenser microphone I use for micing my acoustic guitar. I have been trying to record vocals with my MXL 67g condenser mic but have had horrible results. I get horrible hiss an awful wave sound when I try to do anything with it. I have no problems at all with the small condenser. I am not sure if this has something to do with the Apogee Duet Maestro 2's mixer or not. The levels seem fine. It is just all distorted, wavey. I have played around with it a little bit, but being new to home recording I fee really clueless. Any help much appreciated.

It might help if you put up an audio file of an example :)

Did you check the settings in garageband and make sure that it says "No effects" on the name of the track your recording vocals with? It could be due to a setting you might have accidentally hit, like amp simulation for example.
Are you using a pop filter for it when recording vocals?
Does it sound like any of the audio is peaking?
What kind of area are you recording in? Any background noises?

Let us know what you find out :)

Im not using a pop filter yet, but plan on getting one. I havent even attempted to record since it sounds so bad and woudl overpower what I woudl be trying to record.

I have had it set on presets to record. I have tried just using the ambient vocals setting.

It doesnt sound like any of the audio is peaking but when I do say something into it iit is faint and distorted. I am also wondering if there may be some kind of interference.

Thanks for your help!

Try singing into it without any presets, just the basic, raw track. Also try singing from further away and see what happens. Does the cable have a kink in it or any gashes? How far are you from radio stations?
I would also play around a bit more and try turning the levels down even further. Also try recording guitar with it and see if brings up the same problem. What position do you have the mic at when recording vocals?

-DR

Are you sure the mic itself isn't bad? Does it work satisfactorily elsewhere? If the other mic works well, it seems like everything else in your chain is fine. That leaves me wondering if the problem is with the mic.

Are you sure the mic itself isn't bad? Does it work satisfactorily elsewhere? If the other mic works well, it seems like everything else in your chain is fine. That leaves me wondering if the problem is with the mic.

I really havent tried it elsewhere. I remember when I first got it and was not using the latest version of Maestro for Apogee duet. I had it come on. I didnt notice anything then. no noise. I was talking into it. It seemed fine. I am noticing now it may be somthing with the maestro software.

I have had no problems with recording guitar through the software, but never tried micing my guitar or amp. As soon as I plug it in it just gets noisy

Back