Help with I/O settings in Pro Tools First

RBuchanan

Hi,

I recently downloaded Pro Tools First, I am using a 'Behringer USG102 USB Interface' to record my guitar:

UCG102 | Audio Interfaces | Computer Audio | Behringer | Categories | MUSIC Group

and this is the laptop I'm running this program on:

PQX33A-02G00J - Toshiba Qosmio X500 Computer - Australia :: Toshiba :: Laptops/Notebooks, Storage & Accessories

After setup of I/0 settings and recording, an audio track is created and the Track Meter shows that there is sound being played, but I can't hear anything. Attached are screenshots of what comes up when I need to choose the I/O settings under 'Setup'- 'Hardware'.

Settings.jpg

and here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing (but not hearing):

no sound.jpg

I'm clearly clueless when it comes to this, any help with this would be terrific.

Thanks.

Hi there,

Go into the menu Setup > Then choose Playback Engine.
Ensure that the Behringer is selected.

Now go to Setup > IO
Click on the input tab, select all paths, hit delete (yes, really...it's fine), then hit default.
Repeat the above line for the output tab.

Now you can be sure that Protools is talking to the right device and is aware of all the input and output paths.

No on your audio track in mix-window view, re select your input path and your output path.
The previous paths may or may not have been valid.

Also, the output box on your first image, behringer settings, should be set to a stereo path; Presumably 1+2.

If that doesn't change anything, please let me know! :)

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for replying.

Under the Setup dropdown box, there is no 'I/O' button to click. I am using a free version of Pro Tools, called Pro Tools First, so the layout of things might be different. Here's what appears in the Setup dropdown box:

View attachment 99877

Hey. No problem. :)

Oh, ok. I didn't know that!

How about that first image that only has a single path? Does the dropdown let you choose out 1+2?

What about system audio? Does the Behringer device work for system/browser sounds?

Ruling out the super obvious too...You should have your headphones plugged into the Behringer, not the laptop.

Yep, the dropdown in the Behringer Hardware windows let me choose 1+2. As for the Behringer device working with system/browser sounds, I don't know. Is there a way of finding out, like a test or something? And yeah I've got my headphones plugged into the device.

Yep, the dropdown in the Behringer Hardware windows let me choose 1+2.

That shouldn't be.
In addition, there should only be one single input path....not 1+2.

Are there drivers for it and are you sure you're up to date and have the right version for your OS?

As for the Behringer device working with system/browser sounds, I don't know.

You should be able to select it as your main output device in windows.
You can go in through control panel, or probably do it by the tool bar icons at the bottom right.

I'm not super familiar with windows but maybe put that on hold until the above is sorted.

The drivers for the interface are from 2009, I did a Windows scan for new drivers and apparently they're fine. Although the Windows scans are usually not so great for drivers. The Behringer website has ASIO4ALL drivers, but not for the unit itself. I just downloaded the latest ASIO4ALL driver off the Behringer website.

Hey again,

This might be helpful.
This guy mentions a Behringer Windows 64bit driver and the ASIO driver, but he says the former is no longer on their webpage?

The link he has provided does seem to be legit. Certainly worth a try!

That seems like the ticket. I didn't have the Behringer device selected as the 'recording' device in my sound tab. However Pro Tools just crashed when I went to try it out, so I'll root around my computer and online and see what the issue is. I came across a site saying that Pro Tools First is really bad, said these two are better:

REAPER | Download

Studio One 3 Prime | PreSonus Shop

Ever used these? I might use these instead if Pro Tools keeps crashing my PC.

Hey, that sounds promising! :)

Protools is incredible but the free version never got much love.
I guess they used to bundle it wth interfaces because we had a period of constant PT issue threads, all relating to the SE or free or whatever.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend PT for HR simply because it costs a lot.
If you have a specific need for it that's a different story but if the field is open, go Reaper! Hard to lose. ;)

Installing that driver should let you choose a single input path and pair of output paths in the ASIO dialogue now.
Is that correct?

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll install Reaper now. Protools First was crashing my computer constantly, so I got rid of it. I couldn't open it to check and see if anything had changed in the dropdown menus. I'll keep you posted!

Ok, cool.

If you do want/need to persist with Protools, try holding down N as it launches.
This should force the audio hardware selection dialog and allow you to change/fix the setup.

Protools has a nasty habit of tripping over old preferences.

Either way, hope it goes well. :)

I've got Pro Tools First installed, but I never made much of an effort to learn how to use it, and when I did try it began crashing or displaying errors for one reason or other-- a message saying that the selected sample rate isn't compatible with the selected playback engine, shutting down while scanning for plug-ins on startup, not able to run the (I think) pitch-and-time-stretching plug-in that comes with PT1st, problems starting my default MIDI playback device (VirtualMIDISynth), apparently saving and loading projects okay but saying it's unable to upload them (presumably to my free Avid cloud storage), etc. I found out last night that the version I'm running-- 12.3.1-- is outdated, because Avid's web site says the latest version of PT1st that's available for download is 12.8! Silly me for relying on Avid's application manager to let me know when an update is available; it makes sure that I keep it (the application manager) up-to-date, but presumably it's my responsibility to update PT1st whenever I get a feed that a new version is available. (I guess the only "updates" for PT1st that it tells me about are bug fixes?) So I guess I'll try downloading the latest versions of PT1st and the Avid cloud account manager or whatever it's called, and see if that helps at all.

I haven't tried REAPER yet myself, but I'll probably be installing the newest version sometime this week. It seems to be the DAW of choice for most of the members here.

I occasionally use Studio One Prime, and occasionally used Studio One Free (as it was called under the previous version). I like it for a number of reasons, but there are a few things I don't like about it. My biggest gripe is that it doesn't allow third-party plug-ins, although the soft synth that comes with it-- Presence-- is nice enough. A secondary gripe is that it doesn't allow SysEx messages, although that's also true of Ableton Live, as well as my DAW of first choice (Acoustica Mixcraft). But aside from those gripes, it's easy enough to use. And I really like the way you can use a series of virtual knobs or rotary encoders to set MIDI CC values on a track, including being able to pick which CCs you want to use-- it's like being able to create your own virtual control panel for your keyboards! :)

I should probably mention that I don't record much, and primarily use DAWs to host and play virtual instruments with my keyboards, create and edit MIDI tracks, and sequence MIDI tracks to my keyboards, so those are the types of features that I'm most interested in and familiar with. Steenamaroo and other members should be able to give you the best advice about using DAWs for recording; the only reason I'm chiming in is to comment about PT1st (which I had high hopes for and am not quite ready to give up on yet) and Studio One Prime. :)

Thanks for the advice SeaGtGruff! I downloaded both Reaper and Studio One Prime. While Reaper was good, it has a 60 day limit to it, and I don't want have a time limit on recording so I had a look at Studio One Prime and I like it so far. I took Steenamaroo's advice with configuring the interface in the control panel and I'm watching a video on Youtube that's really clear so I think we're good!

Thanks to everybody for helping me out!

Thanks for the advice SeaGtGruff! I downloaded both Reaper and Studio One Prime. While Reaper was good, it has a 60 day limit to it, and I don't want have a time limit on recording so I had a look at Studio One Prime and I like it so far. I took Steenamaroo's advice with configuring the interface in the control panel and I'm watching a video on Youtube that's really clear so I think we're good!

Thanks to everybody for helping me out!

Glad things are working out.

Reaper's 60 day 'limit' isn't a limit. You have the full (only) version before and after.
There's a short nag screen on launch after the 60 days but no change to the program itself.

Last I checked they want $60 for an individual non-commercial license, which is nothing in the DAW world.

Reaper's 60 day 'limit' isn't a limit. You have the full (only) version before and after.
There's a short nag screen on launch after the 60 days but no change to the program itself.

Last I checked they want $60 for an individual non-commercial license, which is nothing in the DAW world.

I agree, the current licensing fee for REAPER is extremely reasonable, especially since it's for the full version-- which, as you point out, is also the only version. This is very different from other DAWs where there are usually at least 3 or 4 different versions, and the free (if there is one) and least-expensive versions are considerably stripped-down from the other ones in terms of things like how many tracks you can have and whether or not you can use third-party plug-ins.

Back