Help! Exporting stems

NathanWiley

Hi folks!

I need a bit of help. I'm using Presonus Studio one, and I want to send somebody some tracks to mix (wav files). Should I be exporting the channels or the tracks? I do have some effects on there, but nothing that I want transfer to the stems.

Thanks!

Nathan

Turning the effects off/bypassing while exporting would get round this - you can always turn them back on again afterwards.

Lots of video tutorials for this floating around online - I'm not a studio one user but this one seems to fit the bill:
How To Export Stems in Studio One — Studio One Expert

Thanks! I've seen that one and it is helpful, but I still can't quite figure out if I should be exporting the tracks or the channels? Or maybe it doesn't matter?

Channels seems to be things like group channels/busses and outputs (stereo outs etc) - unless youve got lots of mixing/fancy routing going on then tracks is probably fine.

Why not try both and see which one gives you the results you want?

As I understand it, and from reading the SO3 manual, if you export the tracks, you'll get the effected output of the tracks in the Arrangement. You select which ones you want to export. To export without effects, switch them off temporarily.

If you export Channels, it will export one stem for each channel in the Console (mixer) including any busses and effects sends. So any effects you've got on inserts will have an effect on each exported track and the send effects will be included in their own stems. Again, to export without effects, switch them off temporarily.

Since you're wanting to export stems for subsequent mixing, your best strategy is to export tracks without effects.

I was going to start a new thread asking about sending individual tracks as .wav files with email attachments.

This seems to have answered my questions.

I will be sending songs to an old bandmember and want to give them to him as tracks so he can use whatever DAW or mixer/recorder he's got to add onto.

I think I'll send him my masters too so he can hear my interpretations.

Back