Help-Crackling

Albertm

When recording vocal and guitar, Everythings starts fine, but then sounds starts to do a (hard to explain) shorting out, crackling kind of sound on both tracks. I have to save, exit and start up. Then its gone. Record for a few more minutes and it happens again. Had this system for a year and this never happened. Been playing around with buffer sizes due to delay probelms. Could that be related or something different. Have tascam 1082 set to 64 and Sonar to 11.6 if that helps at all. Maybe too low. thanks for any info.

its not a condenser mic is it? if you left it out and the air was damp that could explain it! luckily its easy to fix if you connect it to your desk and leave phantom on for a long while the damp should evaporate!

other wise it could be jitter which is where your clock dosnt sync up properly and is easily identifiable: zoom right in on a pop if its a straight line in one direction with no opposite and is a perfect line then its jitter. you can use the pencil tool on pro tools to draw it out or you could cut it. i dont know of a better way of getting rid of it permanently maybe a different clock source?

It is a new condenser mic. But this also happens with guitar, so I don't think its that. Not sure what you mean with the clock, never ventured there before. But I will check that out. I have sonar. I don't see any pops in the audio. It happens even when just playing and not recording. Really confused. Not sure if its a Sonar issue, tascam,....anyone? thanks

Well if you dont see any spikes, then its probably not jitter and if it happens with the guitar, then its not the mic.
unfortunately that means I dont have a clue!

thinking about that you sure that its not a corrupted file? try opening a fresh session and try that i assume its not clipping in a certain part because it happens over time not straight away unless the tracks get louder as you go along!
last thing is your not using a limiter and pushing it too hard? compression can be a dangerous thing sometimes!

-Josh

If the problem started after you changed the buffer settings then set them back and see if it stops.

fishkarma - That is not jitter. Jitter can occur on playback but it's not something that's on the file.

Is it recording screwed up? Or is it just in playback. It sounds to me like you are having driver issues. If it was clocking or jitter or anything like that the problem would constant and consistent. My bet is that you have a shared resource that is conflicting with your audio hardware. When you initialize it, it will work fine because it still has priority. After it runs for a bit, something sharing some the same resources tries to initialize it or at the least steal necessary bandwidth (PCI bus, firewire bus, IRQ etc...).

Do a mix down and listen to the track (on another player) and if the problem is still there its on the audio file itself. If not its your sound card settings.

It sounds like latency to me. Try changing your buffer settings.

TexRoadkill said:
fishkarma - That is not jitter. Jitter can occur on playback but it's not something that's on the file.

Thats not what i know of jitter but mabe i'm confused as in college jitter was pointed out as a straight line in protools which we ended up drawing it out

mabe it was jitter in out board gear and by the time it went into PT it was viewable because it happened somewere between other conflicting scources in the before protools chain. if you get what i mean?

Thanks for all the answers, but I think I explained wrong. The crackling can happen even before I start recording, let alone playback. I will strum guitar or sing in mic and theres this nasty shorting out crackle sound. It may be corrupt file like fishkarma said cause iI did another project with no problem. I thought also maybe a guitar software issue (amplitube) but it did it with vocals, so I gues not. The mike is stored away and dry. What else would make that crackle.?

I think its ultimatly a buffer isuue because when I tried different settings I would hear that sound on some settings, than I would go back. It seems there are only a few settings where it doesnt happen. Unfortunitaly I don't remember the original settings before I fell into this hole. :o I'm still trying to find the perfect setting. 11.6 still hs a little latency. Anyone know of a good buffer setting page that would be great. Espcially if they combine sonar and tascam 1082. Thanks

Back