Help! Cheap hardware compressor or expensive software compressor?

jerberson12

mucis procedure
Hi guys.
I dont want to waste my money getting a compressor.
Which one should I get?

Cheap hardware compressor (ex. DBX 1066, DBX 160x)
or
Expensive software compressor (ex. UAD-Solo, Waves Plugins, Drawmer Dynamics)

If you can tell me the major difference between the two?
Most of my studio time, I worked with software plugins, so I can determine the difference between a cheap software and an expensive software.

I havent work with any hardware compressors yet,
Any advice will be appreciated.

an external compressor, lets you change the sound before it is converted to 0's and 1's.

a software compressor only allows you to change the sound AFTER it's already been captured.

the real question is, how do you want to use a compressor?

the ideal is, of course, to have both.

do you have a way to patch an external compressor into your recording system, to use it for mixdown?

This is just opinion of course but from owning and using both hardware low to mid price and software free to high price compressors I think the real difference comes when you hit them hard (like more than 6 dB of gain reduction) on tracking/ track level compressors
I find there to be a noticeable difference in this scenario and hardware compressors (at least the ones I have and use) just do it better with less unpleasant artifacts (and more pleasant ones) even on the cheap end like Art Pro VLA or FMR RNC than even a top of the line UAD model of a top of the line compressor can do.
For light compression duties though, I'd be hard pressed to be able to tell the difference, so I reserve my track compressors for the heavy lifting.

As far as bus compression goes I haven't yet found any single plugin by anyone that can replace even my $300 second hand chameleon labs 7720 but that is again just subjective personal preference and probably an unhealthy amount of expectation bias too.

But as mentioned you have to have a way to patch the hardware compressor in to you your recording or mixing chain, with software this is obviously not a concern in the mix, but you can't use software when recording in a pre analog to digital conversion stage

Last edited:
Hi guys.
I dont want to waste my money getting a compressor.
Which one should I get?

Cheap hardware compressor (ex. DBX 1066, DBX 160x)
or
Expensive software compressor (ex. UAD-Solo, Waves Plugins, Drawmer Dynamics)

If you can tell me the major difference between the two?
Most of my studio time, I worked with software plugins, so I can determine the difference between a cheap software and an expensive software.

I havent work with any hardware compressors yet,
Any advice will be appreciated.

I use a mix of hardware and software compressors. As far as hardware compressors go, the dBX160 is a bit of a one trick pony. It is great on some things, but not suitable for other things. Software compressors such as the URS compressors are more verstile. If I was to have only one hardware comp, it would be hard to go past the ART Pro VLA...unless you have lots of money for an 1176 or 1178.

Back