Help to buy a good condenser/dynamic mic.

samcharles

Hello Guys,

I am basically a musician/singer. I am doing keyboard tracks recording in my home bedroom, where there is no acoustic treatment(only four walls ae there :)). Now I want to get started with the vocal recording(Male and female voices) also. I dont have sufficient money to do a perfect acoustic treatment to my room. In this juncture, i want to buy a condenser mic and a Dynamic mic. The main purpose of the condenser and the dynamic is, it shoud be very good for Vocals as well as recording instruments(Violin, Acousti Guitar).

I can spare till $300 for Condenser mics.
Below were some of the Cond. mics i know. Which one will be good bearing in mind there is no acoustic treatment in the room.

Condenser:
1. Rode NT1-A
2. Behringer B2-Pro
3. AKG 3000S

Dynamic

1.Shure SM58 Beta

Can you please help?
If you have any suggestions you can tell me.

Thanks in Advance

My suggestion is the read all the other threads that ask almost the same question.

Agreed.

Why exactly do you want a dynamic and also a condenser? What exactly do you hope to achieve with both? Do you know the differences between the two? I ask, because if you have no specific goal in mind and don't know the differences between the two, then you are going to be spending 300 on two mics that you will not know what to do with, etc. No mic is going to make a crappy room sound less crappy. Sure, there are different polar patterns, frequency responses and "sounds" of mics, but regardless, a crappy room will always sound crappy. Often times, we think if we get a more expensive mic we can make our recordings sound so much better. There is alot more to it than that. I dont want to sound mean or make you feel like we are not giving you a straight answer, but these questions get asked all the time and often times more reseach and a distinct goal can go along way.

Go for the bluebird, It is sweet on vocals. And you dont really need to worry about room treatment when you are dealing with mics that have a cardiod polar pattern.

Condenser:
1. Rode NT1-A
2. Behringer B2-Pro
3. AKG 3000S

Dynamic

1.Shure SM58 Beta

Can you please help?
If you have any suggestions you can tell me.

Thanks in Advance

Hmmm I'd definitely be considering the Sennheiser MK4 if I were you. It's an AMAZING ldc for $300.

Although, with no room treatment, I would recommend that you get a dynamic mic first. However, I'd stay away from the Shure Beta series...neither the beta 57 nor the beta 58 ever really impressed me as much as I expected from the price tags (although I did just use them for live events, not studio).

Thanks for all your overwhelming answers. It would be great if you me a firm answer from the options which i had mentioned with no room treatment.

Go for the bluebird, It is sweet on vocals. And you dont really need to worry about room treatment when you are dealing with mics that have a cardiod polar pattern.

Your room sound is still going to effect the sound, regardless of polar pattern, maybe just not as much as if it were a omni or fig 8, but your room ALWAYS effects the sound.

One thing to be carefull about with a bluebird (if you go that route), is that I have seen alot of them get bent. You have to be pretty carefull when pulling them out of a case or especially so the mic stand don't drop it, tip, or anything like that...

Your room sound is still going to effect the sound, regardless of polar pattern, maybe just not as much as if it were a omni or fig 8, but your room ALWAYS effects the sound.

One thing to be carefull about with a bluebird (if you go that route), is that I have seen alot of them get bent. You have to be pretty carefull when pulling them out of a case or especially so the mic stand don't drop it, tip, or anything like that...

Yep^^ fragile little guys.

I recommend the Oktava MK-219. I've got two and they sound great on virtually anything.

and they're cheap!

+1

Maybe pick up a condenser and work with it for a while, but save your money before you get a dynamic.

I'd wholeheartedly recommend that anyone pick up either an re20 or an sm7b at some point.

They're just must have mics IMO.

Thanks for all your overwhelming answers. It would be great if you me a firm answer from the options which i had mentioned with no room treatment.

Go with the Rode, but not the Shure.

If you really want a Shure, get an older one off ebay, the kind that say "Unidyne" on the band, they are much more natural sounding. Otherwise, you can get much better performance and more versatility from a Heil PR20 (or PR30 or PR40). The Heil mics are the most "condensor like" dynamic mics I've heard.

Out of your choices for condensors i'd go with the rode.
Also oktava mod has a nice mod for em if you wanna step it up in the future.
I really like the SM57 with the tab transformer mod.
I have two of these and use them all the time.
More top and more bottom on the mic so less eq.....

Out of your choices for condensors i'd go with the rode.
Also oktava mod has a nice mod for em if you wanna step it up in the future.
I really like the SM57 with the tab transformer mod.
I have two of these and use them all the time.
More top and more bottom on the mic so less eq.....

Tab transformer mod?

Back