Headphones - Impossible?

guitargirl7

I’m just starting out in the recording world, and am putting together my own little studio. I’m in need of a great pair of studio headphones for a great price. Looking around, you can spend way over 300 bucks for a pair. Thing is, not everyone can afford to lay out $50 – $300 bucks for headphones... This sounds crazy, and I know that it may be an impossible task, but I’m looking for the best pair I can get for $25 bucks or under. I know, I know, it’s like asking the sky to rain guitars (might hurt a bit), but I have faith that someone can help me! If anyone is up for the challenge of giving me advice on the best pair of studio headphones for $25 and under, please let me know!

Last edited:
Seems preferences for what a good sounding head phones depends a lot on the individual.
I know so many I've tried sound just so way off.. but then, I think that's my ear, with those phones.
With that in mind why not just try as many as you can and pick the ones you like?

Try Craigslist, really. This way you might get a nice $75-100 pair of headphones for $25-$30. I just saved $450 on a mic that was barely used.

E. C. 'Journeyman :D

High mid a bit forward, a little shy in the bottom -unless I snug them up tight on the ears warms things up.

Then he could also have found different drivers/sources since I bought these.. :o:)
But you know, nothing bizarre going on anywhere near like some 'hifi phones I've heard either. :)

KRK KNS8400's areyour friends...perfect for any job, solid build and most importantly... very comfortable... only about $150 too, leave some money free for buying other toys!!

I’m just starting out in the recording world, and am putting together my own little studio. I’m in need of a great pair of studio headphones for a great price. Looking around, you can spend way over 300 bucks for a pair. Thing is, not everyone can afford to lay out $50 – $300 bucks for headphones... This sounds crazy, and I know that it may be an impossible task, but I’m looking for the best pair I can get for $25 bucks or under. I know, I know, it’s like asking the sky to rain guitars (might hurt a bit), but I have faith that someone can help me! If anyone is up for the challenge of giving me advice on the best pair of studio headphones for $25 and under, please let me know!
go used ...... and maybe look for some audio technica ummmm ATH 700's I think they were. Only a hundred bucks new so used they might be in your price range.

But look ..... just do away with the idea that you're going to get anything "great" for under 25 bucks.
It just don't work that way. You're also not going to get a great mic for less than 50 or great monitors for less than 150 dollars .......... sorry.

You will be able to get acceptable stuff that'll do the job but that's about it.

I would try to save a little while and get something that will be more useful to you in the long run.

For $100 new, you are looking at AKG 240M, pretty much an industry standard for monitoring mixes while recording tracks.
Used should be about half to 2/3 of that.

I like better the Audio-Technica ATHM50S, a big step up at $140, but well worth saving for,
they are (to me) actually a fairly decent mixing headphone.

SF

I would try to save a little while and get something that will be more useful to you in the long run.

For $100 new, you are looking at AKG 240M, pretty much an industry standard for monitoring mixes while recording tracks.

I like better the Audio-Technica ATHM50S, a big step up at $140, but well worth saving for,

SF
good suggestions for sure.
I think if it's for mixing I would go with the ATH 700's .... they list for 2 hundred but you can get them new for $99.
They are open-aire though so they won't work for tracking for most people.
I actually use mine for tracking if they're the ones closest to me but I'm an exception. Most people want closed backed phones.

But the ATH 700s sound VERY similar to my Sennheiser HD 650s which are very flat and accurate.

SF

akg 240 mkii's go for closer to 150 nowadays, and that's on amazon.com, where for some reason, AKG headphones are significantly cheaper than they are elsewhere. If you go the AKG 240 route, get the closed-back, not the semi-open - the semi-open will bleed more during recording.

Dear guitar girl,

I used to have some second hand Koss which I miss, they're nice if you want something heavy.

Yours faithfully,

Jim

Back