headphone splitter?

If your both singing at the same time in the same room you will probably get overspill into each others mic so you would both need to nail the same take or something might sound a bit off
If your singing harmonies it's always worth trying both singing into the same mic, sometimes you just get a more naturally glued together feel that way.
Another trick is to each put an earplug in one ear, you will both be able to hear your own voice a little bit more and you can wear headphones over the top, it will make it a little easier for you to both live with the same cue mix

If your both singing at the same time in the same room you will probably get overspill into each others mic so you would both need to nail the same take or something might sound a bit off
If your singing harmonies it's always worth trying both singing into the same mic, sometimes you just get a more naturally glued together feel that way.
Another trick is to each put an earplug in one ear, you will both be able to hear your own voice a little bit more and you can wear headphones over the top, it will make it a little easier for you to both live with the same cue mix

she's singing the verses, i'm doing the first chorus alone, second chorus is me with her giving supporting harmonies every other line, bridge is harmonizing, last chorus is harmonizing, outro is a couple lines of back-and-forth followed by harmonizing.

it's all over. i think i'll see if she is comfortable singing alone while listening to my recorded vocals in the headset. i'm used to singing alone anyway, so i might just lay my tracks down first. the one mic thing would only be good if it were complete harmony the entire time...correct? otherwise i can't EQ both of our voices individually.

The one mic thing will only work if you are both listening to the same thing. Otherwise, you won't be able to instinctively blend the harmony. In other words, if you have more of you in your phones, and she has more of her in hers, the chances of the harmony sounding right is pretty slim. There will be no way to change the blend of the harmony after the fact.

with one mic, i'd have to create 3 tracks using that mic...one for my vocals, one for hers, and one for the combination part. that's fine, but the starting over thing is what's bugging me. if one of us is having a great take and the other messes up, we would have to start over. i'd rather do each separately.

why did i decide to do this. what a pain. eh, it's a beautiful song though, i'll put it in the clinic in a couple weeks when it's finished.

Why don't you just do two tracks, your part and hers? No reason to make a separate one with both of you singing into one mic.

Why don't you just do two tracks, your part and hers? No reason to make a separate one with both of you singing into one mic.

The third track is so I can EQ and compress it differently, if needed, from the individual tracks. I want, of course, each vocal section to shine so I'd rather be able to work them more. I'm thinking that what I do to each when they're alone won't be as good as it can be if i also worked the harmonizing as a whole unit. If an EQ cut on one voice begins to negatively affect the other voice, I'll back out of it and just do two tracks.

If that is the case, you can just add two more tracks and cut/paste the performances for the harmonies to them. Then send those new tracks to a group channel/bus and do all the processing there.

However, unless you are going for an unnatural sound during the harmonies, the individual processing on each vocal should work fine. It's supposed to sound like the two voices blending together, so it should just work out.

You might be over thinking this. Especially when you remember that you can just create tracks and move parts around after they are recorded. Don't make the recording process more complicated than it needs to be simply for organizational purposes.

Back