Headphone monitoring volume

Hilltop studio

I'm having trouble getting enough volume in my headphones for monitoring while recording. I have plenty of signal in on my daw. I monitor directly from my card to avoid latency. The headphone volume knob is cranked. Now using focusrite saphire, but this was the same problem with my last card, a MOTU 896. I now run a line from headphone output to my stereo and use that as a headphone amp to boost the volume, but can that really be necessary? Isn't the point of your headphone output to get enough volume to hear what you're playing?

Am I doing something wrong?

Sincerely,
Listening intently in Norway

More interesting info: The MOTU even had a virtual mixer, with processing, that would (among many other things) tweak your headphone monitoring. There again, cranked, but only low volume to listen to. Absolutely hearable when nothing else is going on, but as soon as I start singing or playing, I drown out my monitor sound.

Recording decent electric guitar via an overdriven amp means I have to use safety ear guards and bud in my ears rather than head phones AND a headphone amp.
I'm using a Scarlett 8i6o and it can be fine for hradphines with DI's stuff and for general listening for deatil etc. I've not found it loud though.
I have a head phone socket in one of my monitors (Behringer thngs) that offers more volume when I need it close to the desk.
You can buy a Behringer H/Phone amp for a very small amount and better ones for more. They will give you the oomph you need as well as some greater flexibilty like being able to be further from the interface, out fo the room when doing loud guitar etc so long as your cable run is long enough.

I'm having trouble getting enough volume in my headphones for monitoring while recording. I have plenty of signal in on my daw. I monitor directly from my card to avoid latency. The headphone volume knob is cranked. Now using focusrite saphire, but this was the same problem with my last card, a MOTU 896. I now run a line from headphone output to my stereo and use that as a headphone amp to boost the volume, but can that really be necessary? Isn't the point of your headphone output to get enough volume to hear what you're playing?

Am I doing something wrong?

Sincerely,
Listening intently in Norway

Have you tried a different set of headphones, just ot see if maybe it's a bad one?

Yeah I have the same problem with my interface - Lexicon U42S - and my firends UA101. My firend sends a signal out to his stereo amp for headphone monitoring. I just suffer with mine. You are not alone and you would think they would fix this issue in their products.....

And BTW... it says " The USB recording interface for musicians on the go" on the box. Am I supposed to bring my stereo along? Another box to amp up my headphones?

Back