Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hardcore vocals

Newbie dude is offline Dedicated Member
    Thanks

hardcore vocals

Sign in to disable this ad
    Okay, I have a hardcore band coming in to record 2 or 3 songs in a few weeks[ very atreyu-ish, with some yngvie malmsteen-like guitarwork] and I'm wondering about recording the vocals. The lead vocalist screams every single song, as far as i know, and i've heard a 57 is used alot to record screamers, but i also have a spb1 too. Now, i figure the b1, since it's a condensor, would capture more frequencies and give more color to the vocals, but will screaming vocals be to much for this specfic condensor mic to handle? I'd like to know before I use it and damage it. Plus, I'd like to know if a 57 is perferred for screamers for any other reason besides it can just take that high of a db level.

ssscientist is offline Info you can use...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbie dude
    Plus, I'd like to know if a 57 is perferred for screamers for any other reason besides it can just take that high of a db level.
    I would stick with the SM57 if you can convince hiim to leave it on the stand. Hardcore types have funny ideas coming into studios, and the soon you can dispossess him of the notion that his vocals sound better if he moves around the better you'll get along.

If he's a real screamer you can use a condenser on his vocals --- just be sure it's a mic with a -10dB pad and that the pad is in the 'on' position.

And be sure to use a pop filter either with the condenser or the dynamic.

...now in HD.

Ironklad Audio is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks
    i used a 57 on vocals for a metalcore band a little while back, and it worked absolutely perfectly...the only other mic i had available for vocals was a a rode nt-2a, and it's smooth/warm sound just didn't sound right

i also engineered/mix some punk stuff for a guy in a recording class of mine about a year ago...i did the setup and tracking for the bass, drums, and guitar, and he and someone else engineered the vocals. of course they grabbed the most expensive mic out of the locker, a neumann m149, and although the performance was pretty good, the vocals sounded like total shit in the mix. i eq'd, compressed, reverberated, and did pretty much anything else i could think of to the vocal tracks, and it just didn't sound right. in short, i would try to stay away from condenser mics for this type of stuff.

TexRoadkill is offline Audio Bum
    Thanks
    Hardcore vocals aren't about clarity or frequency response. It's usually just a bunch of grunts and screams that sound more like a distorted guitar then a singer. The main part of the hardcore vocal sound is the guy screaming right into a handheld dynamic. Just give him a 58 and compress the hell out of it. Run it through a guitar amp or PA speaker and mic that for a more aggressive tone.

lenMCHC is offline Junior Member
    Thanks
    I'm going to disagree completely...

I have recorded tons and tons of "hardcore" singers.
    and first off, atreyu, and malmstien(sp), have absolutely nothing to do with hardcore.

that being said, i prefer to use a low level condensor. My choice is the Marshall V63. It's got enough clarity, and can handle enough sound pressure. And it plain sounds good.. A little or a lot of compression, depending on the singer...

I know that myspace sucks for audio but:
    www.myspace.com/betweenthewars
    www.myspace.com/breathofsilence
    www.myspace.com/diehardnj
    www.myspace.com/batterup
    www.myspace.com/slaughterhousefive

jonnyc is offline 2.5K Gold Member
    Thanks
    If he sings and screams then have him sing into the SP and do seperate scream tracks thru the 57. I did this for my cousins band, he couldn't grasp the concept of not screaming on the singing tracks so I showed him how to make a screaming type sound at a low volume and mixed that in with the screams he did thru the 57, turned out really decent I thought. WTF do I know, just buy a sm7 and be done with it.

blueroommusic is offline you want this big boy?
    Thanks
    I disagree...I think any condensor is probably going to be the worst mic you could put on a screamer...Many screamers don't have very good control over their dynamics; that being said I have never had anything but positive results from dynamic mics. 57's work good most of the time; i5's are also good for screaming vocalists in some cases; shure bullets work great as well.

IMO the best way to get the nitty gritty vocals is to record with a handheld dynamic, then re-amp through a guitar amp...this way you can also use pedals to emphasize certain parts of a song.
    I come from the taint of America, so don't bitch at me about your f*#@ing problems. You don't have to wake up everyday smelling like a mix of ass AND balls.

Massive Master is offline MASSIVE Mastering, LLC
    Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    About the only time I ever want a condenser on vocals is for "smoky" jazz, soft female vocals and the like. I'm with (someone before) - Get a SM7 or even more to my taste, an EV RE-20... One of the greatest and most flexible vocal mics of all time.

*Especially* great for screamers and aggressive male vocals - Rock, rap - You can't go wrong.
    John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

Spoon-feed a newbie the answer and he'll mix for a day --
    Spark his curiosity to find the answer himself and he'll mix for a lifetime...

Newbie dude is offline Dedicated Member
    Thanks
    Really? You'd put it through an amp? If I was gonna do that, Should I have him sing through a twenty buck sony dynamic mic, plug that into the amp, the record with a 57, or have him sing into a 57 and record that with the cheap sony?

Okay, so what I'm hearing mostly is use the 57. Now I just gotta convince the band that the vocals won't sound better on the fancy looking condenser mic.

Adam P is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks
    Why not try them both, and see what works best?

A friend of mine's old hardcore band recorded vocals with a SP C3 and their records sounded great. And yes, I mean hardcore, not metalcore, or metal or whatever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information